Electrics t25 radio wiring???? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
veggie
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default t25 radio wiring????

Trying to wire a jvc cd player into my t25. The van has brown, a lightblue and a red wires. Which do what?
cheers
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
veggie
Chat Virgin

is the blue/white one ignition live? and is this what i should wire the one one the head unit marked acsessory too???
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
mixster
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Have you got an electrical tester? Ignition off, test the wires. The one that lights up is your permanent live. Then turn the ignition on, and see which one lights up in addition to the first one. That's your ignition live. Then put the clip from your tester onto the first live wire, and test the remaining wires (NOT the other live one though!). The one that lights up now is your earth. The rest will probably be speakers.
mixster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Speedy Jim
Help! I'm trapped in here

Brw is earth.
Red is live (+) all the time. It should be fused.
Blk is switched with Ignition. Should be fused.
Blk/Yell is also switched for accessories. You can pick that up from Fuse #10.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html
look for the Vanagon diagrams

HTH

SJ
Speedy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Speedy Jim

Good advice from Mixster; double check with a tester.
Speedy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
phade
I really must get out more

Personally, I would buy some different coloured reels of wire, some crimps, a crimp tool, run those wires from the radio to the unfused side of the fuse box (ground wire to the chassis) and do the job properly.

It's very easy to get access to the type 2 T3's fuse box. Just undo 3 bolts and carefully flip it downwards.

From the radio end:-

Brown to chassis
Red to unfused side of fuse 7 (radio) or any B+ (battery live) terminal from the fuse box
Yellow to unfused side of fuse 10 or any switched live terminal from the fuse box

My non VW rides: 1985 Reliant Rialto 2 Estate, 1988 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch, 1989 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch
phade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Kafer_meister

Trading feedback: (2)

Bear in mind that if you connect the switched live to a switched live source, you will only be able to use the radio when the engine is running or your ignition is live (which will burn out your coil). T25's (and most earlier VW's) don't have a 3 position ignition switch. I'm just going to wire the switched and permanent lives from the stereo to a permanent (fused) live from the fuse box (well leisure battery in my case).
Kafer_meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread