Engine MK1 Golf Coolant Temperature Sender - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.
Forum Sponsored by: www.CoastVW.co.uk Classic Volkswagen Services

Coast VW

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 30-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Philiano
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default MK1 Golf Coolant Temperature Sender

Hi
My wife's MK1 Golf Clipper Cabriolet is idling high, and 'Dieselling' or over-running. I'm told this is either the Pierburg Carb in it, or the coolant temperature sender. Am I right in thinking this is a green 2-pin sender?

Thanx
Philiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
BORISTHEBLADE
Wannabe Chat Slut

if it is idling high and running on it will almost certainly be the wax-stat stuck on the carb common fault and an easy one to replace the part, it is held on the front lower of the carb by two phillips head screws and has 2 water pipes going to it replacements are still available
Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Philiano
Chat Slapper

hmmm. I changed the Waxstat for a working spare I had here, and it's still idling high, and running on.
I'm guessing it is the coolant temperature sender at fault after all. Could anything else be causing it?
Philiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread