flexacryl; is the stuff any good? (builders/roofers/diy gurus) - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Passion 4
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (37)

Location: Hastings Old Town, East Sussex – just near the sea!
Question flexacryl; is the stuff any good? (builders/roofers/diy gurus)

Our portico style entrance was a slightly curved, solid roof (?) construction that I think had just been sealed through the use of some kind of paint or some kind of thinish roof seal?

Unfortunately this has cracked in places and has resulted in an ingress of water

So was wondering if I part or fully strip the existing coating off, is flexacryl a good option to re-coat it with?

Thanks in advance..,
Passion 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Passion 4

VZi Member Sponsor

Anyone ever heard or used this stuff at all?
Old 18-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Highonlife

Trading feedback: (10)

Have used in the past Chris like acropol I think like fibre paint stuff.
Ok for temp fix then do later.
Saying that I did an old boys as a temp fix with acropol it's thick clupy stuff with fibres in and when it seals and dry it's great flexy stuff...that was 16 years ago over a flat roof and still not leaked.
He wanted a fast fix as could not afford to do a reroof at the time I see him from time to time and amazed it's still good.

Not sure what the roof is..get me a pic

Last edited by Highonlife; 18-11-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Highonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Highonlife

http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/p...olacropol.html
Old 18-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Passion 4

VZi Member Sponsor

Cheers Steve I'll get you a pic in the morning in the light, it's slightly curved area over a Victorian type portico entrance to the house, maybe some kind of concrete screed maybe?
Old 18-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Highonlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion 4 View Post
Cheers Steve I'll get you a pic in the morning in the light, it's slightly curved area over a Victorian type portico entrance to the house, maybe some kind of concrete screed maybe?
Tams just been reading over me shoulder..said that's what she wants a portico entrance..she just explained what they are as she's been looking to buy one apparently for our new project.

That stuff should be ok mate for a fast cheap fix..if you can get acropol mate get that as tried and tested.
Old 18-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Passion 4

VZi Member Sponsor

Hi Steve, found an old pic…

When you are facing the house, the roof area of the portico bit curves up to the middle & then down again left to right and I think it slopes a bit back toward the house, I can get a better bit of the curvature it it helps tomorrow…

An old guy recommended the Flexacryl stuff, like you said, it has fibres in it making it tough & flexible and it’s supposed to last for ages?
Old 18-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Highonlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion 4 View Post
Hi Steve, found an old pic…

When you are facing the house, the roof area of the portico bit curves up to the middle & then down again left to right and I think it slopes a bit back toward the house, I can get a better bit of the curvature it it helps tomorrow…

An old guy recommended the Flexacryl stuff, like you said, it has fibres in it making it tough & flexible and it’s supposed to last for ages?
Love the porch mate proper grand..just love places of real caracter.

Does it have an internal roof..just need to check if it has an internal outlet pipe that it's alway clear of leaves and don't seal it up.
Old 19-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Passion 4

VZi Member Sponsor

Cheers yeah, there are some nice properties round here, would suit you very nicely!

Think I will need to get the power washer onto the roof first to give it a proper clean!

Not sure what the top curved finish is made of and I assume there is some kind of void beneath it as well?
Reply Post New Thread