Suspension Avo front coilovers 1303 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 14-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
robo7
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Default Avo front coilovers 1303

http://Hi guys,

First of all does anybody have Lee Arnolds (La performance) email address.

Been trying to bolt together my Avo front coilovers and when i tighten up the top nut it binds the top mount and it doesn't turn freely. From the spring theres the avo top mount, then a spacer washer then the standard VW top mount. Just wondering if i was just been thick, or was missing bits.

Last edited by robo7; 14-10-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: adding photo
robo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Beetlebank
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Hi there,

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but I feel some spacer must be missing causing fouling between the top spring cup and the top mount. Try dusting a little talc and WD-40 on alternate parts and assemble it to try and see where parts are touching.

As an aside, I did not know that AVO made struts for 1303s. Is it a late 2-bolt type as I am after just this type of strut but not at Kerscher prices?

Cheers, Carl.

Beetlebank VW Restoration
Beetlebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Beetlebank
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Hi there,

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but I feel some spacer must be missing causing fouling between the top spring cup and the top mount. Try dusting a little talc and WD-40 on alternate parts and assemble it to try and see where parts are touching.

As an aside, I did not know that AVO made struts for 1303s. Is it a late 2-bolt type as I am after just this type of strut but not at Kerscher prices?

Cheers, Carl.

Beetlebank VW Restoration
Beetlebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
robo7
Chat Slapper

The Avo top mount was fouling on the VW bearing so i added a spacer. Tried different spacers but to know avail, just wondering if i was missing any bits. Bought them from La performance, not as expensive as kerscher ones.
Old 15-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
robo7
Chat Slapper

Any ideas?
Old 15-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Paul Weeding
Lord Von Hannover

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (9)

phone him... details are on the la performance website

Custom engines built to order, full restorations, custom machining/one off fabrications, and Porsche cooling kits for type 4 engines. PM or email me for details.
Paul Weeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
robo7
Chat Slapper

up!!
Old 17-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
evilC
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebank View Post
Hi there,

................As an aside, I did not know that AVO made struts for 1303s. Is it a late 2-bolt type as I am after just this type of strut but not at Kerscher prices?

Cheers, Carl.
AVO, Bistein and Spax all make them. Lee at LAP has AVO specially valve them to his specs.

The two bolt strut is a common format and with the adjustable platform type the Porsche 944 one will fit as will the Golf Mk 1. In both those cases the o/a length of the strut in the original configuration is shorter but that doesn't matter with the adjustable platform.
evilC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Paul Weeding
Lord Von Hannover

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo7 View Post
up!!
Have you phoned LAP??

if you haven't gone back to source, how can you move forward??

Custom engines built to order, full restorations, custom machining/one off fabrications, and Porsche cooling kits for type 4 engines. PM or email me for details.
Paul Weeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread