Volkszone Forum banner

MK2 Golf daily driver

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Forsh 
#1 ·
As the nice weather has finally arrived Ive started doing all those little jobs I've been putting off all winter.

Heres the subject.....

First job is the seats. The standard seats were a little tired, and although there are no rips, the drivers seat had a metal bit of the frame digging into my back:mad:

I began to look around and found some seats in a Y2000 Audi A4 Quattro sport. Looking at the fittings on the front seats they were very similar to the ones on my MK2 so I handed over £60 to the scrappy bloke and left a happy chappy.

Here are the Golf and Audi seats together for comparison. (sorry about bad lighting in pic)

as you can see, the front mount is the same, the rear legs are 100mm (4") wider on the Audi, but not equally both sides, the inside leg needs to come in about 30mm and the outside 70mm.

As for the rears, they were going to be a bit more tricky, although they fitted surprisingly well with no trimming at all :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
So first I set to installing the rears.

Seat base first, made some tabs to attach it to the original golf hinge mounts.

Then used some 25mm RHS and set some rivnuts in to fix the tabs to.

Fitted that to the underside of the seat base.

fits like this.

The bar across the front also lifts the front edge of the seat a little tilting it back and making it a bit more comfortable. :)

#3 ·
The backrests were going to be more difficult, but I got all the fittings from the donor Audi. There are two side pivot pins, a bracket that holds the pivot point between the two folding backrests, and the two 'U' plates for the backrests to clip into and lock when upright. I even got the key to lock them in the upright position.

So first I had to locate the centre pivot (yes I know its not in the centre)

When I was happy it was in the right position I started making a bracket to hold it. I didn't really want to do too much welding on the car its self so were possible I've used bolts and rivnuts, but here I was going to have to do a little bit of welding.

So, to work on the bracket.

Insert some more rivnuts and here it is.

Meet mr Welder.

Tacked in place.

#4 · (Edited)
Now for the side pivots, not as many pics here as I got well into working on it and kept forgetting to take pics

Anyway, you can see how its fitted.

And they work.

As the Audi was a saloon, not a hatchback the backrests were supported all the way across the back, so I decided to install a bar across to support them better.

It bolts into the original seat locating pin holes from the golf, so all of it can be put back standard with no trouble.

Rear seats fitted

#5 ·
Now for the fronts. Heres the difference in the rear legs.

Golf

Audi

So I made a simple Jig to help me get it right.

Again, sorry for the lack of pics, I got into it a bit and forgot to take pics of all the stages.

Heres what I finished up with.

repeated on both seats and this is the result....

You might have noticed the bolster on the drivers seat, the split is where the airbag had gone off, the reason for the Audi being in the scrappy in the first place.

I removed the airbag casing and cut a piece of foam to fill the void, then i used some strong twine to sew it up temporarily, I'll get it sewn up by an upholsterer properly at a later date.

I also need to tidy up all the brackets, file them round edges and paint them up, but I'll live with it for a week before I do it in case I need to make adjustments. I'm bloody knackered now.

#8 ·
Apart from replacing the water pump when I got it from you last year, and then the fuel pump and alternator a few months later (to be expected on old car) its been a pleasure to own and drive.

She's getting a respray some time this year too, just trying to decide whether I can afford a pro job or not.

Colour change imminent though, as she's a keeper and we just don't like the Capri green enough to keep it. Ford Luna sky (Brisbane brown) is the current favorite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.