VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php)
-   Readers Rides (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Latest Mexi purchase (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1589669)

wil7496 05-10-2019 04:13 PM

32 Attachment(s)
Been looking for a late lhd 1600i Mexi for some time but everything i found was a rhd conversion and not what i wanted. As usual, last Thursday evening whilst searching the web i spotted on ebay a 1984 lhd Mexi, had only been listed a few minutes previous but the pictures showed it to be a clean tidy example with a very solid pan and shell. A quick couple of questions to the vendor and i made a decision i was having it, so i did the one thing you shouldn't do, and i bought it blind, i.e. without viewing it.
The following day, that being yesterday, i transferred the payment to the vendor, again, i know a huge risk and one we should never do, arranged for it to be couriered to me this morning, and i took delivery of it just before 11am this morning, just over 36 hours after first seeing it on ebay.
Well, what can i say, it is as solid as any bug of this age i have seen before. The pans and channels look original and unwelded, the front inner wings and spare wheel well are shiny and still have factory stickers on, and it drives really well.
Ive only took a single pic for now but it should give an idea of its condition
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...face349f_k.jpg20191005_115549 by Adrian Wilcock, on Flickr

GlenAnderson 05-10-2019 05:24 PM

That looks really, really lovely. Well done. Iím more than a little jealous.

:)

Zebedee 05-10-2019 05:57 PM

Very nice.

Damageplan 05-10-2019 07:08 PM

Looks great!

sie1970 06-10-2019 11:38 AM

Mexican Beetles in original LH drive are the up and coming thing, people are just realising how good they are. There has been a club running for the past 37 years trying to send this message, and it is now that people are finally understanding!

wil7496 06-10-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sie1970 (Post 16567515)
Mexican Beetles in original LH drive are the up and coming thing, people are just realising how good they are. There has been a club running for the past 37 years trying to send this message, and it is now that people are finally understanding!

This is my fourth Mexican Beetle now, and all have been brilliant cars. Im still amazed at how solid this one is for its age, been giving it a good check over today and other than a very small oil leak, identified now as the oil pump cover gasket leaking, everything appears to be in great working order - a lucky find i think!!

keekster64 08-10-2019 01:03 PM

The early 80s mexican bugs were very good. That looks like an excellent example. I had a velvet red one. The build quality was on par with the last german ones. The only weakness, IMHO, is the body was painted on the pan, and the underside of the pan is usually just primer. When they arrived in Germany, VW coated the whole underside in thick hard underseal. As it ages it goes brittle and cracks. Water gets underneath it and gets trapped against the metal causing localised rot, which usually doesn't spread far. If I'd kept mine I would have chipped off all the old underseal and derusted any surface rust, and used some wax based underseal instead. As long as its looked after, they last and drive very well.

callaghan 08-10-2019 01:06 PM

Mexi

Lovely!

Out of interest, why are there so many red B and C reg mexi beetles about ? All usually red too. Was it due to it being the last year they were officially imported to Europe ?

Jim 11-10-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callaghan (Post 16567849)
Lovely!

Out of interest, why are there so many red B and C reg mexi beetles about ? All usually red too. Was it due to it being the last year they were officially imported to Europe ?

I'm not 100% but think they were all limited edition Red Velvet bugs (someone can correct me :) )

Lovely looking car there, really suits the GT wheels too. Health to drive dude!

callaghan 11-10-2019 08:52 PM

Mexi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 16568295)
I'm not 100% but think they were all limited edition Red Velvet bugs (someone can correct me :) )

Lovely looking car there, really suits the GT wheels too. Health to drive dude!

Yeh those are nice. But i mean the base model ones with the houndstooth (think thatís what itís called) interior and not side graphics.