VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php)
-   Multimedia Forum (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   New Top Gear (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1587577)

trenchfoot 24-06-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16550545)



Electric cars though... the future. :(

Yes, yes they are :D :eek: Will be hitting 80,000 electric miles this week!

Dave Dorson 24-06-2019 09:10 AM

I really enjoyed last nights one.

Jim 24-06-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smull (Post 16550541)
Enjoyed it again, dare I say more than I ever enjoyed Clarkson, May & that little bloke :eek: thoroughly entertaining! Long may it continue :)

I couldn't agree more!
Still has a bit of the silly tongue and cheek humour, but it doesn't take over.

Electric is the future, hopefully by the time we all have to convert it will be a lot cheaper and you can choose your own engine sound!

smull 24-06-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16550545)
Me too.
They genuinely look like they're enjoying it/having a laugh. :D

They do, I thought the p*ss taking about Freddie not being able to deal with words and numbers at the same time was class :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16550545)
Electric cars though... the future. :(

After spending a day driving a Jag I-Pace at Oulton Park (on roads, track and handling circuit) I have to say my mind was changed on electric cars. I'll always favour petrol engined cars (primarily classics) for fun driving but for everyday I'd be more than happy with electric based on my experiences with the Jag.

Unfortunately they're £60k + so it's not a dilemma I'm likely to have any time soon :D

Duble agent V.W.Ford 24-06-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenchfoot (Post 16550595)
Yes, yes they are :D :eek: Will be hitting 80,000 electric miles this week!


Jeez, that kind of milage in a week? That must be one huge motherfooker of a battery you have! :incheek:

Duble agent V.W.Ford 24-06-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 16550613)
Electric is the future, hopefully by the time we all have to convert it will be a lot cheaper and you can choose your own engine sound!


I want to make my Cortina to go "Merr Merr F'kin mrowwwwww!" like Postman Pat's van in the sweary YT video, that would be histerical, well to me it would. :lol:

Jim 25-06-2019 02:01 PM

Lol think it was like an angry BMC A series engine

clarkson 26-06-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 16550613)
Electric is the future

It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.

callaghan 26-06-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkson (Post 16550989)
It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.

Exactly, even something as simple as keeping things longer would benefit ( apart from designed obsolescence..). Who’s going to tell people they need to buy less , use the bus more etc though?

Re the presenters , I have had plenty laugh out loud moments each episode, haven’t had that for a long time. Need to drop the “guest stars” tho.

clarkson 26-06-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callaghan (Post 16550995)
Who’s going to tell people they need to buy less , use the bus more etc though?

Plenty of people have told us there is no easy way out of this, no one wants to listen.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.