Volkszone Forum banner

Need Mechanic South Croydon

6K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  monkeyonboard 
#1 ·
I could do with one, fairly urgent. My bug is over idling and I can't get to grips with sorting it. It was running perfect before but then it went to a garage..........and the rest ........is a long story.

Car turns over ok but as soon as I apply throttle it doesn't seem to return to idle correctly. I have to push my finger on the throttle cable in the footwell housing (which doesn't seem to be fitted correctly) to return it when stationary for a long time.

I'm sure it just needs setting up really, carb adjusting etc.

no tools no clue no time

So could do with someone who can sort this for me. Cash paying.:D Hopefully before 2nd July as I have a good pal coming down south who I'm taking to Goodwood in it.

#2 · (Edited)
Hello mate

You can try Darren at VW Airfix (Stanley Park Road, Wallington/Carshalton)

or

Steve at South London VWs (next to Dingwall motor auctions round the back of beddington Asda)

or

Phil at Brickfields

http://www.brickfieldautos.com/

*edit* give empi power (Rob) a shout he could probably sort it for you but I think he is away this weekend

All pretty local to you. If I had some spare time I would come over and have a look but I am a bit snowed under at the minute. If you get really stuck give us a shout and I will see if I can come over and have a look, at worst you can always come over and borrow some tools if you need to.

Have a search through the mech tech forum, you could probably find the solution in there.

#6 ·
Phil is too busy & I wasn't impressed with his last quote for some work, with the job now going to someone else because of this. Which is a shame as his work looks spot on and he's convenient.

However, I need someone local to help me sort the little problem with the throttle, and pronto as I'm taking a good pal to Goodwood. The geezer has just gone through years of hell with the big C and this is the first time he has been away from home and has always wanted to go the event so I need to make sure I can get him there and back! I have used Darren too, but there lies the route of the problem. I am going to give South London VW's a try, that is if they are still going.

Has anyone used Mayflowers in Brixton? I remember calling in and having a chat with him years ago but didn't end up returning.

#21 ·
problem. I am going to give South London VW's a try, that is if they are still going.
If you do speak to him could you chase up m,y quote for work, I think ist only been about 18 months, 2 years now. I gave up chasing him after the 20 time...

Maybe he dosnt need the work....:confused:

GB

#18 ·
from my experience i have ssen lots of vehicles coming from south london vdubs that suffer SERIOUS issues within a week or so and the work seems to have either been wrongly or just inadequately done. I wouldn't mention this but have seen a few brake failures after this garage has worked on them!!!

Phil is my first choice outa the three Stu suggested, Honest Trustworthy and a fair price!

#22 ·
I know others have been less than happy with SLVW, but I have never had a single problem. Just speaking as I find.

I would second a recommendation for Phil's work.

If you do speak to him could you chase up m,y quote for work, I think ist only been about 18 months, 2 years now. I gave up chasing him after the 20 time...

Maybe he dosnt need the work....:confused:

GB
He can be a funny fucker sometimes, but he has had some up's and downs in the last 18mths.

#23 ·
all sorted (although stil need to brake conversion sorting) -

Pete Nice spent a day sorting out a few things and now running perfectly, had to replace a clutch that :)mad:) Airfix had fitted only a matter of months ago, I now have working brakes and the engine is running sweet - Aircooled Technics = top top man. :cool:

Now I'm orf ta Goodwood to give her a proper run out. :D

#27 ·
The arm that is connected to the spring has a u shaped ending which snapped on the way to Goodwood yesterday.

I can't for the life of me get the arm to return on it's own and therefore idle correctly. tried the spring and idle adjust to no end.

The car idles too high/the throttle sticks open and I have to pull the arm back manually to get it to idle at low revs.

Pete had the same problem the other day and only just managed to get it sorted but with thar now snapping it seems to have gone back to the same prob. I have thrown on 3 washers and a hex nut to hold the barrel in tight that the grub screw goes into but still the arm won't return to the correct spot.

???

#31 ·
Not to worry, I' had go at throwing on a second spring which brought it back so much but still far too high. There is something not right with that linking arm.

Being a prized spanner I have now gone and lost a screwy in the engine which I have just spent a good hour trying to get at to no avail.!!

Thinking that I may as well get another carb, could do with changing the alternator too so may get it all done as one job.

It's a 1641 twin port, what carbs should I be looking at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.