VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php)
-   VZi Small Business Forum (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Need some advice (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1580313)

bat and ball 11-08-2018 05:16 PM

Need some advice

Took voluntary redundancy got another 7 year's before I retire thinking of going on an pipe fitting agency know it's a bit of a bit of a minefield but was advised to get an accountant worked for the same firm for 38 year's so never had to worry about work but now iv got to stand on my own 2 feet. Heard some stories over the years how they rip blokes off left right and centre don't want to get caught out but not entirely sure what to do . Cheers Paul

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Brian Burrows 11-08-2018 07:06 PM

Who rip folk off? Accountants? Or the agencies?

bat and ball 11-08-2018 11:49 PM

Apparently the agencies
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16490013)
Who rip folk off? Accountants? Or the agencies?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

mr slug 12-08-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat and ball (Post 16489997)
Took voluntary redundancy got another 7 year's before I retire thinking of going on an pipe fitting agency know it's a bit of a bit of a minefield but was advised to get an accountant worked for the same firm for 38 year's so never had to worry about work but now iv got to stand on my own 2 feet. Heard some stories over the years how they rip blokes off left right and centre don't want to get caught out but not entirely sure what to do . Cheers Paul

So, am I to understand that you will be working freelance? Sub-contract style? Zero hours contract stuff?

If the 'pipe fitting' is part of the construction industry
(HMRC have a list of trades/job descriptions, that they classify as 'construction related')
Then a whole different set of rules and regulations apply.

However, you will find that much greater responsibility is loaded on tne 'main contractor' in construction related business, much less on the sub contractors - so you may find that doing your own tax return is simply a matter of filling in an online form.

It really does depend on the exact definition of your job, and your employment status.

76 12-08-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr slug (Post 16490093)
So, am I to understand that you will be working freelance? Sub-contract style? Zero hours contract stuff?

If the 'pipe fitting' is part of the construction industry
(HMRC have a list of trades/job descriptions, that they classify as 'construction related')
Then a whole different set of rules and regulations apply.

However, you will find that much greater responsibility is loaded on tne 'main contractor' in construction related business, much less on the sub contractors - so you may find that doing your own tax return is simply a matter of filling in an online form.

It really does depend on the exact definition of your job, and your employment status.

Yeah pretty much all this^^^

My limited knowledge/understanding of the pipeline business is that if you're willing to travel and be flexible they main contractors generally seem happy to take you on direct.

I know a couple of young lads that did it, the money appears good but you have to work for it and none of it is easy work. The lads I know who went for the work we're placed in the jobs purely by their size/physique in that you look big enough/strong enough to shift heavier stuff so you can go there. Both lads had no experience and were trained to do the relevant job on the job.

Agencies, yeah they'll get 20 an hour and pay you 10 but thats the nature of the industry.

Whatever you do, good luck:hug:

bat and ball 13-08-2018 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info. Going to take a month off have my daughter son in law and my granddaughter from Antigua staying with me at the moment so have some time to look around cheers. Paul

winchman 01-11-2018 11:11 AM

Whats your location? I know a company who are looking for pipe type people in Liverpool.