VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php)
-   North West (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   I have a day off work, so. (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1114210)

Sol Ford 14-07-2014 03:18 PM

SJC3101 14-07-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol Ford (Post 11971970)
Ring, ring.

Ring, ring.

Ring, ring.

:D

Just going to pick up the kids from school, more later.

:lol: tease!

Virgil574 14-07-2014 03:48 PM

Which reservoir? I was swimming in Damflask in May, was still on the cold side, but really good.

Did some training with a mate who was going on to swim the channel a couple of years ago, in Withens Clough and Rivelin - he swam all of it and I swam some and did some as support kayak. That was properly cold (and was picked to be, as pre-sea training) - one of the limited number of times that I have been thankful for my layer of insulating blubber!

Sol Ford 14-07-2014 04:24 PM

Big Gay 14-07-2014 05:16 PM

Great stuff!

I do a lot of open water swimming, a group of us swam Windermere, Ullswater, Coniston & Derwentwater end to end last year. Not on the same day ;)

I've started swimming weekly up at a small loch near Aberdeen, mostly wetsuited, but it was at 18* the other week so went in speedo's - love it! :lol:

I still do a fair bit of pool training still but I find it a bit boring!

focus_driver 14-07-2014 05:46 PM

feel free to piss in it - it's probably what the in laws end up drinking...... :lol:

Virgil574 15-07-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol Ford (Post 11972362)
Virgil, Gaddings Dam and the water was 19*c, another couple of weeks and it'll hit 22-23*c mark and swimming is positively encouraged. Let me know if want to go and I'll pass on the turning markers.;)

I know Gaddings, near Todmorden (it's about 10miles from where I sit now), just the other side of the hill from Withens Clough- it was one of the ones Pete was going to train in, but he ditched in favour of Withens 'cos there is a road and a car park within about 200m. Pete was doing long training and a few of us went up to support and do short stints with him. Withens is still a Yorkshire Water reservoir, so whilst they don't prohibit swimming they don't encourage it either. A YW guy turned up halfway through our session, saw that we were kitted out and being sensible, had a chat and moved on.:)

19's not too bad, once you've got past that 'kiss the underside of the scrotum' moment! :eek:

My lad is off to Switzerland this weekend (Scout Camp) and one of the activities they are doing is swimming in a glacier-fed alpine lake (I think it might be the Oeschinensee, near Kandersteg) I'm guessing that is going to be "somewhat fresh"...:D BrrrRRRrrr!

Sol Ford 15-07-2014 05:48 PM

Virgil574 15-07-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol Ford (Post 11979690)
What can I say, I'm going again tonight.

I'm just a big kid. :D

Looks like a nice evening for it, if I were not stuck in the office doing testing I'd be tempted to come and point and laugh cheer you on a bit...

...have fun, stay safe...

VielziDub 15-07-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyMicra (Post 11970994)
what if it has a noch ness monster in it?? :eek: or a Yorkshire Moor Monster?? Be careful ;)

Funny you should say that I was swimming in the loch last week! :eek: