VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php)
-   Multimedia Forum (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   New Top Gear (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1587577)

Brian Burrows 17-06-2019 09:04 PM

New Top Gear

I finally caught up with the new Top Gear this evening - with Freddie and Paddy - same format(ish) but different presenters...

I think it will improve and Top Gear will continue for ever.

:)

Jim 17-06-2019 09:23 PM

Most I've enjoyed it in years, I liked the cars they chose, wasn't too rehearsed and didn't do anything really dopey or outlandish!
Good mix of personalities and banter.

smull 17-06-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16549491)
I finally caught up with the new Top Gear this evening - with Freddie and Paddy - same format(ish) but different presenters...

I think it will improve and Top Gear will continue for ever.

I winced when I heard the new line up announcement all those months ago. I just thought it was another disaster waiting to happen.

BUT Iím glad to have been proven wrong and it worked really well imho. Iím so glad Matt has gone, nothing against the guy but he just couldnít present to save his life.

Iím actually looking forward to next weekís show and I havenít said that about Top Gear in a loooooong time.

callaghan 17-06-2019 10:28 PM

I really liked it , some laugh out loud moments. Didnít feel scripted (though probably is) , but the chemistry seems genuine?

smull 17-06-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callaghan (Post 16549517)
I really liked it , some laugh out loud moments. Didnít feel scripted (though probably is) , but the chemistry seems genuine?

I think it is. At first when they were taking the pee out if Chrisí height I thought it was forced but as time went on (and especially in Ethiopia) it did appear the friendship and banter was genuine. I hope it continues in that vein.

Brian Burrows 17-06-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smull (Post 16549513)
Iím so glad Matt has gone, nothing against the guy but he just couldnít present to save his life.

Agreed. He's some driver (and bike rider) though. :)

Duble agent V.W.Ford 18-06-2019 12:09 AM

I've not watched it yet but in my opinion, after the positive comments, all they need to do now is replace Chris, his style of presenting makes my teeth ache and I don't have many of my own ones left!

smull 18-06-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16549521)
Agreed. He's some driver (and bike rider) though. :)

He’s a big Porsche fan too. One of the most promising reports he did was on a Porsche. He actually came across really well as he was passionate about it. Unfortunately, on a car show you need to be like that on every report!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duble agent V.W.Ford (Post 16549533)
I've not watched it yet but in my opinion, after the positive comments, all they need to do now is replace Chris, his style of presenting makes my teeth ache and I don't have many of my own ones left!

I like Chris, always thought he was the best out of the older line up. Plus, he can drive properly and they need at least one who can :D

clarkson 18-06-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smull (Post 16549569)
I like Chris, always thought he was the best out of the older line up. Plus, he can drive properly and they need at least one who can :D

Why?

Not one of Clarkson, Hammond or May could drive for toffee. Yes they could slide about and make lots of smoke, but it ended there.

smull 18-06-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkson (Post 16549573)
Why?

Not one of Clarkson, Hammond or May could drive for toffee. Yes they could slide about and make lots of smoke, but it ended there.

True, but regardless I think it's better if at least one of them can do the business.

callaghan 18-06-2019 08:50 AM

Only concern is the serious reviews? Will Harris do them all ? Canít picture paddy or freddie going technical about a Lamborghini or similar.

Dave Dorson 18-06-2019 09:25 AM

I watched it earlier.

Honestly, some of it was funny, a lot of it I was just looking at my phone.

I'm sure I'll download and watch them when I feel the urge, but I can take or leave it.

Jim 18-06-2019 09:54 AM

What I liked was that the seemed to be a bit more respectful of classics and not going out and buying them to destroy like the original lot did on a regular basis. hopefully they'll not prove me wrong.
Mixed reviews online, but I think genuine car folks will like it.

andyr7 18-06-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duble agent V.W.Ford (Post 16549533)

yeah exactly !!! hes not got a clue ,,his presenting is so forced and un-natural its quite embarrassing and freddie looked really uncomfortable too when he was in the studio and talking to camera
but .....
i will give it a go ..as not watched it since the first "chris evens" episode which completely ruined it for me and refused to watch ever since

but who knows it might work as paddy and freddie are quite funny fukers lol

alfie the monster 22-06-2019 09:46 PM

I quite liked Le Blanc, although he did seem to struggle with the bits in the studio.

I like Chris Harris as well, he did some great bits on Pistonheads years ago. I follow him on Instagram, and he seems to have genuine chemistry with Paddy and Freddy

clarkson 23-06-2019 10:15 AM

I saw it yesterday and I have to say it is the best attempt at Top Gear since Clarkson, Hammond and May did one. It is also better than the Grand Tour, but then so is a broken spine.

Duble agent V.W.Ford 23-06-2019 02:54 PM

I watched it, I liked it, then Chris had his bit that seems to go on forever so my finger was firmly planted on the FFFFFFWD button for that 55 minute (maybe that's just what it seems like to me) segment. :lol:

bigbadbugga 23-06-2019 05:16 PM

I watched it and liked it.

I never watched any of the last few series after the originals left, apart from the two episodes that convinced me to stop watching.

Ill be watching the rest of the series, i like the more light hearted and friendly banter of these three.

:D

smull 23-06-2019 09:02 PM

Enjoyed it again, dare I say more than I ever enjoyed Clarkson, May & that little bloke :eek: thoroughly entertaining! Long may it continue :)

Brian Burrows 23-06-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smull (Post 16550541)
Enjoyed it again, dare I say more than I ever enjoyed Clarkson, May & that little bloke :eek: thoroughly entertaining! Long may it continue :)

Me too.

They genuinely look like they're enjoying it/having a laugh. :D

Electric cars though... the future. :(

trenchfoot 24-06-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16550545)

Yes, yes they are :D :eek: Will be hitting 80,000 electric miles this week!

Dave Dorson 24-06-2019 09:10 AM

I really enjoyed last nights one.

Jim 24-06-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smull (Post 16550541)

I couldn't agree more!
Still has a bit of the silly tongue and cheek humour, but it doesn't take over.

Electric is the future, hopefully by the time we all have to convert it will be a lot cheaper and you can choose your own engine sound!

smull 24-06-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Me too.
They genuinely look like they're enjoying it/having a laugh. :D

They do, I thought the p*ss taking about Freddie not being able to deal with words and numbers at the same time was class :lol:

Quote:

After spending a day driving a Jag I-Pace at Oulton Park (on roads, track and handling circuit) I have to say my mind was changed on electric cars. I'll always favour petrol engined cars (primarily classics) for fun driving but for everyday I'd be more than happy with electric based on my experiences with the Jag.

Unfortunately they're £60k + so it's not a dilemma I'm likely to have any time soon :D

Duble agent V.W.Ford 24-06-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenchfoot (Post 16550595)
Yes, yes they are :D :eek: Will be hitting 80,000 electric miles this week!

Jeez, that kind of milage in a week? That must be one huge motherfooker of a battery you have! :incheek:

Duble agent V.W.Ford 24-06-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 16550613)
Electric is the future, hopefully by the time we all have to convert it will be a lot cheaper and you can choose your own engine sound!

I want to make my Cortina to go "Merr Merr F'kin mrowwwwww!" like Postman Pat's van in the sweary YT video, that would be histerical, well to me it would. :lol:

Jim 25-06-2019 02:01 PM

Lol think it was like an angry BMC A series engine

clarkson 26-06-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 16550613)
Electric is the future

It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.

callaghan 26-06-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkson (Post 16550989)
It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.

Exactly, even something as simple as keeping things longer would benefit ( apart from designed obsolescence..). Whoís going to tell people they need to buy less , use the bus more etc though?

Re the presenters , I have had plenty laugh out loud moments each episode, havenít had that for a long time. Need to drop the ďguest starsĒ tho.

clarkson 26-06-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callaghan (Post 16550995)
Whoís going to tell people they need to buy less , use the bus more etc though?

Plenty of people have told us there is no easy way out of this, no one wants to listen.

Jim 26-06-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

It really isn't...

Fair points dude that I'd have to agree with! Hadn't considered a lot of that, but what I'd meant was that everything seems to be heading towards electric cars with zero emissions etc etc.
I'm in the same boat as yourself, never had a car newer than 10yr old and generally buy a car and keep it for a long time, at the moment my modern daily is 17, the wifes is 14 and my VWs are 30 and 52. The throw away society sickens me!!!

clarkson 27-06-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 16551051)
Fair points dude that I'd have to agree with! Hadn't considered a lot of that, but what I'd meant was that everything seems to be heading towards electric cars with zero emissions etc etc.
I'm in the same boat as yourself, never had a car newer than 10yr old and generally buy a car and keep it for a long time, at the moment my modern daily is 17, the wifes is 14 and my VWs are 30 and 52. The throw away society sickens me!!!

Yes, that is how the market is going, it is pretty shitty really.

mister pp 27-06-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

It really isn't...

Youíre right. There isnít joined up thinking when it comes to the environment.
The environmental cost for something especially cars should be looked at from the cradle to the grave
How much does it cost in environmental terms to produce ,use and dispose of something. As well as itís longevity. Our classic Veedubs may pollute more locally but the environmental cost of production has been recouped many times over. Most of our electricity is from fossil fuels so electric cars pollution is created elsewhere. At the power station not in the city.
Itís much the same with diesels they may produce more local pollution (particulates nitrous emissions etc) but far less globally than petrol as they are more fuel efficient causing less CO2 and so less greenhouse effect. The fact that they go on for many more miles than petrol means less cars have to be produced. Now scrappage schemes are being introduced so perfectly good vehicles will be once again thrown away. Howís that environmentally friendly?

clarkson 27-06-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister pp (Post 16551093)
Youíre right. There isnít joined up thinking when it comes to the environment.
The environmental cost for something especially cars should be looked at from the cradle to the grave
How much does it cost in environmental terms to produce ,use and dispose of something. As well as itís longevity. Our classic Veedubs may pollute more locally but the environmental cost of production has been recouped many times over. Most of our electricity is from fossil fuels so electric cars pollution is created elsewhere. At the power station not in the city.
Itís much the same with diesels they may produce more local pollution (particulates nitrous emissions etc) but far less globally than petrol as they are more fuel efficient causing less CO2 and so less greenhouse effect. The fact that they go on for many more miles than petrol means less cars have to be produced. Now scrappage schemes are being introduced so perfectly good vehicles will be once again thrown away. Howís that environmentally friendly?

The thing that governments/corporations are thinking about when it comes to the environment is how they can think of new ways to fleece the common man out of money. I like watching people like Elon Musk, it is comedy gold. Some of his "science" is dubious to say they least.

My car is the type of car that is eligible for scrappage. It is a perfectly good Toyota Yaris 1.4 TD. There is nothing wrong with it and it has been to the moon and back. I won't be scrapping a perfectly good car.

Brian Burrows 30-06-2019 09:03 PM

I'm getting a Daimler Hearse. :D

mickB 30-06-2019 10:07 PM

With a Lexus v8 conversion

Brian Burrows 30-06-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickB (Post 16551613)
With a Lexus v8 conversion

:D

Greg McD 01-07-2019 09:49 PM

I saw it last night for the first time with the new line-up. Very enjoyable :cool:

callaghan 02-07-2019 12:14 AM

I wish they would dump the ďcelebrity ď bit tho.

I would much prefer if they visit celebs car collections (Lenoís garage , jay kay etc) or just regular folks with interesting vehicles?

smull 02-07-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Burrows (Post 16551589)
I'm getting a Daimler Hearse. :D

I'm dying to get into one*.

* sorry.