VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php)
-   Readers Rides (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   If you're gonna make a special, make it special (https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1548897)

dc66 10-11-2017 09:36 PM

If you're gonna make a special, make it special

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

A couple of years ago I said I was going to make an aluminium bodied Hebmuller. Well, I changed my mind! For the last year or so I have been planning my new project.

I'm making a car based on a beetle chassis with a handmade aluminium body in the style of a 1950's race car.

Now, I have decided that for this to be the car I want, I need to modify the chassis. That means a BIVA test. So I have been digesting the regulations adapting my plans to suit. This car will be built to pass the BIVA test.

If you are not aware of this BIVA stuff, have a look on the government website. You can download the regs and print them out. Be warned though, it's 308 pages long!

Anyway, back to the build. My vision is a car taking inspiration from the likes of Jaguar xkss, cooper Bobtail, 356 zagato, ferarri 250p . Sort of curvaceous, low, open top sexy kind of thing.

I've got a mid 60's chassis with a ball joint front end. This will be modified with irs rear end and wider floors. I'm not going to shorten it though. On top of this will be a tubular frame supporting an aluminium body.
I'll have doors but no windscreen, just a low "fly screen" and no roof.

Now, I don't want it to look like a porsche replica, hence the non-shortened chassis. Also it's going to be water cooled. The reason for this is that I don't want it to sound like a beetle and I like the front of a car to have a grill.

There is an massive amount to be thought about with a build like this. Its caused me many sleepless afternoons!

I have done a drawing and a plastercine scale model of what I want. I going to hold back on showing these yet as I'm sure they will change.

So that's the thread started. I'll update as and when. As a taste here's a picture of what I've started with!

GlenAnderson 10-11-2017 10:03 PM

Cool.

dc66 10-11-2017 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The first job, obviously, is to make the chassis rot free and sound. The floor halves were shot and almost completely rotted away. The frame head was also goosed.
I set the chassis up on a jig table and was releaved to find that although many areas were rotten, it was straight and square. A good base then. I don't need the floors as I'll be making my own, but the frame head needed swapping.
I found a "bargain" frame head on eBay. Aparently it had been bought "in error" and was now being sold on. When it arrived it looked great. Feeling pleased with my bargain I put it on my workbench and tried to fit a beam to it.

Two of the thread inserts had been fitted at such an angle the I couldn't get a bolt in them! Grrr
So I used a hole cutter to drill out the weld, re-angled them and welded them up.

dc66 10-11-2017 11:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So with the chassis fitted onto the jig table, the frame head was swapped

dc66 10-11-2017 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did make one addition inside the new frame head before I welded it in though.....

A low "dam" was fitted across the bottom. Remember this because in a year or so it will come in handy.....

dc66 10-11-2017 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next there is this lot....

dc66 11-11-2017 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Obviously I want this car to handle as well as I can get it. This makes the conversion to double jointed irs rear end a must.
I purchased a job lot of the swing arms, drive shafts, brakes and weld in brackets. Also included was a jig to ensure I welded the brackets in the right place.
As it turned out, the jig only really gets them roughly right. Much measuring and fine adjustment was needed before I was happy. I'm very glad I only tacked them in to start with!

dc66 11-11-2017 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My plan had been to use the 5 stud slotted wheels for that "vintage look". Machine 7 do a rear drum that fits the irs axle with the 5 stud pattern. However, the regs state that the front brakes must be self-adjusting. That means I need disks up front. I can't afford 5 stud disks but I do have a beetle disc front beam in the garage. So, for now at least, I'm using four stud wheels.

Nik da Greek 11-11-2017 10:52 AM

Looking forward to seeing this take shape. My initial feeling is that this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc66 (Post 16217553)
This car will be built to pass the BIVA test.

will impact seriously on this...
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc66 (Post 16217553)
My vision is a car taking inspiration from the likes of Jaguar xkss, cooper Bobtail, 356 zagato, ferarri 250p . Sort of curvaceous, low, open top sexy kind of thing.

...but after two years' thinking about it you've clearly done your homework :D Watching with interest

dc66 11-11-2017 10:56 AM

So that's the basis of the chassis, irs rear, disc front beam. The gearbox is "DC" code type 3 one for a little longer gearing. I swapped over the nose cone so it fitted the original mounts. I managed to get one with a reverse switch as that's required under the regs