Volkszone Forum banner

Offshore work: Trainee Geophysical Engineer, Engineering, Superintendant, all sorts!

8K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  fall-apart-dave 
#1 ·
Figured I'd stick this on here just in case anyone is looking for offshore work... The place I work is recruiting again.

There's trainee Geophysical Engineer:

You will provide a proactive and comprehensive service to effectively support the needs of the department, both on-board the vessels and at our Head Office. Based predominantly at our Head Office in Great Yarmouth for approximately the first two years of training. You will learn all aspects of the offshore role and the onshore support and management functions.

Seagoing Underwater Geophysics Engineer

What I do basically. Collecting geophysical data using sub-bottom profilers, sonar etc. as well as maintaining the geophys equipment on board.

(from the site):

We are currently recruiting seagoing engineers (Underwater Engineers) for our Geo-Engineering department to support the hydrographic and geophysical survey teams. You will be responsible for deploying, recovering, maintaining, repairing and replacing equipment and parts as required. You MUST have strong Electronics experience and/or qualifications. More info here

Offshore Source Mechanic

Maintenance of compressors and seismic guns and mechanical equipment on board.

(from the site):

We are currently looking to recruit seagoing engineers (Source Mechanics) for our Geo Engineering department. You will be responsible for operating and maintaining the seismic source and compressor packages on the company's vessels. Strong Mechanical experience and/or qualifications IS essential.More info here

Vessel Superintendant:

Reporting to the Marine Manager, the successful applicant will have overall responsibility for ensuring that company operated vessels are maintained and managed to remain fully operational condition. More info here

Survery Support Engineer:

Working for Gardline Geosurvey Limited you will work in the Positioning department as a Survey Support Engineer, working closely alongside both surveyors and engineers.More info here

Companies website is here to get an idea of what we "do":

http://www.gardlinemarinesciences.com/

I would be happy to forward any CV's directly to the HR department (just drop me a PM), or you can apply via the website. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer! :)

Hope this helps someone!

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, experience is something that grads always fall down on... Why not apply for one of the engineering positions, see what happens, gets you some experience under your belt to suppliment your degree...

"I haz degree and experiencez on da boat"

sounds better than

"I haz degree..."

on a CV :)

#6 ·
Hi Dave, just read the description for Offshore Source Mechanic Maintenance of compressors and seismic guns and mechanical equipment on board. I think this job would be well suited to me skills and experience. I served in the RAF for 6 and a half years. Could you look at my CV and give me some feedback please?

#10 ·
Got your CV dude, I've had a look, it's good as it is. I changed the formatting very slightly, because when I opened it it was a bit all over the place (I think it's a compatibility thing) but other than that, no changes and straight to HR dude.

Best of luck mate! :)

#8 ·
How much time do you spend away versus time at home? I'm guessing it's big stints away, then reasonable stints at home? Could be a good option to have 'in my back pocket' for a few months time..... 25 years in engineering, recently from superintendent to eng. manager, but in aviation.

#9 · (Edited)
It all depends on you really... You are expected to do 180 days away in a year, though in truth it seems to work out more around the 200 mark for most underwater engineers. You can ask for more days if you like, and the more days you do, the more you get paid per day, it goes up in brackets, and you get your basic salary on top. But yes, my work pattern thus far has been:

4 weeks away training
6 days at home
8 weeks away
3 weeks at home
I'm now on another 8 weeks away

But I WANT the extra days because I have debts that need shifting and new outgoings that need to be catered for, so a year hitting it hard is the order of the day for me.

When I applied and got offered the job, it was actually a few months before I started working for them, because the RAF wouldn't release me when they promised and decided to arse around instead. So, if you are interested, it might be worth writing up your CV and winging it off soon and seeing what happens. They seem to be happy to wait for the "right" people than to quickly employ the wrong ones. :)

#13 ·
Dave,

I notice that you mention a Trainee Geophysical Engineer position, but the website doesnt mention the trainee part. Should i be concerned?

Can you PM me with your email address, and i will bang over my CV and a cover letter, and you could make sure that i actually apply for the trainee position. I just dont want to apply for a qualified position, only to get laughed at, and my CV not getting forwarded to the right place. If that makes sense.

Many thanks

Danny!

#20 ·
;) Lets hope I see you soon! :D

Look his company is based in Yarco so not too far for the offices they normaly have a boat or two in the habour, just look for a emblem of a G in like a diamond if im right,
Aye they do. We had an OOOGE new one in not so long ago, so I hear. But you are correct, Sir! Diamond with a "G" in it, blue and white ships usually.

#19 ·
Look his company is based in Yarco so not too far for the offices they normaly have a boat or two in the habour, just look for a emblem of a G in like a diamond if im right,

#22 ·
hello, this might not be your area but ive been trying to get offshore for ages i've got my survival/medical rigging certs and bolting tourque certs mach ten (with rbg) and im still not havin any luck. ivespoke to my family and hey said i only going to get a roustabout/labouring job, do you have any tips or advice. i think every agency going has my cv andi currently in the middle of fuding for my rope access so i can do rope access rigging i'vecame close to a job a fewtimes but it always seemst fall through any help would be appreciated

coco

#23 ·
the trouble is with offshore work, it often seems to be the case that it's not what you know it's who you know, and how good you are at actually getting yourself in front of "the man" for an interview. As per the PM I sent you, I would be happy to look at your CV and give you some pointers.

#26 ·
They still haven't finished this round of interview yet dude, and have another recruitment drive on. Unfortunately I don't hear anything once I have put a CV in, as it's then "confidential" and none of my business! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.