Volkszone Forum banner

1965/6 Pearl White Beetle (Snowy?) Project

113K views 397 replies 63 participants last post by  kafer-k 
#1 · (Edited)
1965/6 Pearl White 1300 Beetle (Snowflake)

Ok here we have our 66 bug, its been in a garage for 14years and has 61162 miles on the clock. It was bought new by my girlfriend's great uncle who passed it on to her dad who has, in turn, given it to her, so its destined to be a family heirloom! :)

All in all its pretty solid from what I can tell so we are very excited about getting it back on the road. As you will see it experienced a bit of cosmetic damage along one side and the offside door and wings have been replaced. The engine (a 1300 Fcode) had much work done to it back in June '94 but was driven once after this for about 50 miles. Apparently it got really hot so it was towed to the garage where it has rested ever since...........

#5 ·
looks like an excellent project, theres nothing like a low mileage, low owner bug. i have a 63 in pearl white with about the same mileage, it was owned by just a father and son before me. its very solid and bizarrely it also has had the drivers side door replaced due to accident damage!

#8 ·
Next step was to get snowy loaded up and off to where I'll be working on her. This is the point when I realised I didn't like the idea of using the winch in fear of damaging something so we gave it a good push instead!

#10 ·
Just noticed the high level sidelights up by the windows which I've not come across before - anyone know anything about these? they've got VW and Hella markings on the base and lense.:confused:

#13 ·
going to be going down the restocal route so things like the bosch script spots and badge bar will be staying ;) (I'm guessing the badge bar is upside down?)

#16 ·
they look like ( from the pic ) type 3 side markers ( indicators ) are they on both sides ?

Cool Pigalle
Thanks for that, was scratching my head, and yeah, they're on both sides :)

#18 ·
Snap! That's identical to mine, right down to the white parcel shelf!!!

It's a '66 1300 by the way - the model year ran from August '65 to July '66, so it's an early one :)

#19 ·
Snap! That's identical to mine, right down to the white parcel shelf!!!
separated at birth for sure!!!!

Incidently, what colour is your wing beading? is it white, cream or light beige??!

#83 ·
It's white to match the paintwork - from the photos, it looks like your car has the original beading :)

#25 ·
Not surprising that engine got hot, it is missing all the lower tinware, thermostat, flaps etc etc.
Otherwise, looks a great project - very solid too
cheers! lol, yeah all the bits are in the boxes of stuff that go with it along with a 1200 engine. The story goes that after it got hot it was taken out and they began to take it apart to identify the problem. Unfortunately they couldn't work it out so started putting it back together and broke an oil seal on one of the pistons on re-assembly. They then got distracted by a 2cv :rolleyes: so just bundled the engine back in, as is, and locked it up in the garage for 14 years :)

#26 ·
Looks like a lovely bug. Is it a he or a she?
Well I've been referring to it as a "she" but I've just had to run it past the boss for the official final word :incheek:.

It is now officially a she and has been named snowflake :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.