Volkszone Forum banner

Hot starting difficulty.

Engine 
1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Blue72 
#1 ·
Got a slightly odd issue going on with my 1500 s/p Bug:

1. Cold starting is perfect - immediately cranks into life and runs fine.
  2. Drive until the engine is hot - switch off and then the car will start fine immediately.
  3. Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then the car is really reluctant to start - smells and feels like over-fuelling and it will eventually catch if cranked over long enough.

What I've tried:
  • Check electric choke working correctly
  • Check fuel pump working correctly
  • Check fuel is clean, no debris in bowl
  • Blow through all jets
  • Check float/fuel level
  • Check cut-off solenoid it moving
  • Correct jets in carb
  • Timing etc all correct

Carb is a genuine, refurbed Solex PICT and the car has previously had no issues, but has seen very little use over last 1-2 years.

I've set the fuel level in the bowl actually lower than spec - 15mm - as it just feels like its overfuelling, but it made no difference.

I'm thinking maybe faulty needle valve allowing the carb to over-fill when standing?

Any other ideas?

See less See more
#7 ·
Hmmmm...could be. Although the weird thing is the car has to be left a few minutes after running before the issue occurs. If the mixture was way out, sure the choke could mask it when cold starting but as soon as the choke came off I'd expect to start seeing the issue?
Or am I missing something...?

I think I'll order a new needle valve and see what difference that makes...cheap enough, and you never know.:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Have you tried unplugging choke;
had this on our 1200 was told to do; fit a non return valve on fuel line and a cork gasket under carb, never understood how this changed things but it worked.:rolleyes:
Also always slowly push accelerator to floor on both our aircooleds anyway.

#11 ·
Yeah coil is in my mind too.....I put a new condensor on already actually, as I had one to hand.

I still thinks its fuel though - haven't got around to changing the needle valve due to the current restrictions on movement (car is stored at a mates place...) but I'll report back once I finally get to it.

Cheers for all the replies ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.