Volkszone Forum banner

CAD Engineer

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Huw 
#1 ·
hi im in my final year at uni studying design engineering, i have alot of experience using Solidworks. so if anybody has anything out there that needs drawings converting from 2D to 3D let me know. also any other related work would be appreciated. thanks guys. Nick

#5 ·
yeah not alot of people recognise 3D moddeling when i tell them, but the tutors seem to think theres alot of demand for it. they reckon alot of companies are changin 2D drawings into 3D an thats where it all is. so i'll have to wait till im done next year to see if theyre tellin the truth i guess

#9 ·
Your tutor is right, I'm in the food machinery engineering trade, and it's going more and more towards 3d.

Our company moved over to 3d a couple of years ago.
Doesn't seem to stop our drafters from still making mistakes.
"So can you just rotate that vessel so we can see underneath.....Oh that hand rail seems to disappear into the side of the vessel"

"Oh didn't notice that".

#10 ·
Yo guys, Thought i'd crash this thread.

Been trying to get in drafting and design. or something in this area for ages.
Don't have the degree which puts me at the pack already.
Been mostly involved in machining cnc and manual for the last 5 years since i left school.
Have always had an interest in cad and have always been good with a computer.
Recently got a autocad essentials cert. but thats as much use as a chocolate teapot and my lecturer realised that i was above this. but courses arn't cheap nor frequent.

I can model simple parts and assemblys in solidworks and inventor
and comfortable with autocad 2d

now unemployed i need a start i can't keep cutting metal

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

BMAN

#13 ·
In my experience I would say aim for a detail draughtsman or junior draughtsman role first, from what you say of your experience you will piss it...Show an enthusiasm to learn and think for yourself but without being arrogant in that role and you will soon move on.
I went from an engineering apprentice...draughtsman...to now being a project engineer/manager.

Some of the best guys I work with have come from the more practical background rather than the degree route.
But then maybe i'm just being biased ;)

#11 ·
I was in the exact same boat as you fella, but my company were already using Inventor in the design office.
All I did was pester them continuously for bloody ages about giving me a trial in design. They relented 3 years ago, and offered me the position.
Good look, 'cos I love working in 3d, an I agree it's the way that companies want to turn. Try and find out what companies are using 3d, and get your details sent in.
Again, best of luck.

#12 ·
I graduated this year from an automotive engineering degree. My cad got me a job instantly. Use solid works or catia. Both of these programmes will get you a job, catia especially for advanced work. Its a new generation kind of thing, all companies will need to do it pretty soon if they design or manufacture anything.

#15 ·
I studied Automotive Engineering, love cars and thought this was the way forward. I struggled getting a break to start with too - a lot of graduates do and most of my mates gave up and went for the ££ in project managers / tech sales roles.

Stick it out, my first job post uni was working for a speaker company where I was designing lifting equipment / beams etc then progressed to doing all kinds of plastic, castings etc then project leader - all far removed from designing car components!

My advice would be to take a job with a smaller manufacturing company where you can have insight into all areas of the business, not just stuck in one department - it'll add value to your CV very quickly.

#16 ·
I work for an engineering consultancy which also happens to be a CATIA reseller.

I train lots of guys to use CATIA - both graduates and those who have gone the apprenticeship route and both bring different things to the table. On the whole graduates tend to be more IT literate so pick up the software quicker, but the guys with shopfloor experience have a better grasp of how things should be designed with a view to their manufacture. If you can demonstrate strength in both areas you're on to a winner.

Career wise I would say having enough hours of experience in the software used by your target industry is important. For example if your interested in working in automotive of aerospace having CATIA skills is the way to go. I may be biased but its what most of the industry are using right now particularly if there is an element of surface modelling involved. The customer base is growing into other industries too.

Solid Works has carved out a niche in areas such as product design, fabrication, food processing machinery, oil and gas and medical equipment industies. If you have SW experience these may be the industires to target.

If you're just starting out you may need to be flexible - design engineering vacancies don't always become available on your doorstep and often they will be contract (temporary) roles. If you can demostrate your abilities in a short contract position you may get offered a permanent role (or a longer contract if the contractor lifestyle suits you!).

Good luck :)

Huw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.