Volkszone Forum banner

Tattoos . Yes or No?

6K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  slim_adi 
#1 ·
I'm waiting for mine to heal. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them.

#3 ·
Its a very subjective and personnel thing really.

They're not for me, I don't really yearn for or want any, they are too much of a permanent fixture for me. However they seem to be more popular than ever.

To each their own and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for having them or make assumptions about a person who has them:)

#15 ·
My 27 yr old Son recently thanked me for stopping him from doing it when he was 18 - true thing.

Not the best picture, so doesn't really do it justice, but I love the colours that were used.
That looks nice :)

Personally, I like tattoos and have always secretly wanted one.
However, I do understand that unfortunately, there are people out there that (quite wrongly) are prejudiced towards those that have them.
Some of those people are in a position to 'help or hinder' an individual's progress through life - and I didn't want to be hindered, so I made a conscious decision to go without.

#11 ·
My other half has most of his back covered and some on his arms and legs. As they are not for everyone, and some people have very strong views against them he keeps them hidden at times. My mum detests them and would be horrified if she saw them, so she has never seen them, and won't.

#13 · (Edited)
I've got two full sleeves, attitudes have definitely changed towards tattoos over the years, as has the standard of work/equipment/ink etc, in general they're not frowned upon like they once were.

I've got a lad in his 20's who works for me who's pretty covered including a full neck tat and a small anchor on his face, he's one of the loveliest softest spoken and helpful guys i've got and my customers love him, where maybe years ago they might have found him intimidating purely because he's tattooed.

#17 ·
I wasn't offended Dave, I have never regarded age as something to be sensitive or ashamed of. I guess I am a little 'old fashioned' in that I respect and admire folk that have a few years under their belt - not that I don't admire youngsters, just that they by definition lack experience, and the wisdom that can come with age.

I certainly could have tattoos now, but probably wouldn't.

Although I admire some older folk for their knowledge and wisdom, I certainly don't find them 'attractive' in a physical sense - 'Mutton dressed as lamb' and 'oldest Swinger in town' are not something I'd aspire to - and, although in my 20's, 30's and even into my 40's I'd be happy to strip my shirt off in public, These days, I'd save the public the trauma of witnessing my semi nakedness :lol:

Fit, healthy looking people, enjoying themselves on the beach - of any age or gender, tattooed or not, is a normal, welcome sight.
But, as I figure apart from that I'd have very few opportunities to show off, and enjoy my tattoos - I probably won't bother to suffer the pain and expense of acquiring them at my age :lol:

I am glad attitudes are changing towards those with tattoos - it is not before time.
If my Son had tattoos done now, I wouldn't object - he is old enough, and astute enough to have figured out for himself whether attitudes have matured - and I trust his judgment more than my own to make the right call.
I guess I felt a 'duty' to discourage him from doing something that was irreversible, until he had the maturity himself to make that call.

#18 · (Edited)
My mother in law was hiring an exterior decorator to paint the woodwork on their house. This guy had come highly recommended by the interior decorator they use.
She commented to me and Mrs Simondo about how good he was supposed to be..but she wasn't quite because he had a lot of tattoos..and and some ear piercings....
Mrs Simondo pointed out that her brother also had tattoos and at one time had an ear piercing...
The look of "oh shit...I didn't realize I was so narrow minded" on the Mother in laws face was priceless.
She hired him and he did a cracking job...she remarked on how polite and we'll mannered he was..and she felt very "wrong" for judging him before he had had a chance.
To be fair to the mother in law, she is over 70, and was brought up very conservative, and she admitted her prejudice and had learnt from it.

#21 ·
lol, yeah I think with tattoo's you have to not worry about details like cost and/or distance between you and your chosen artist, and just go to whoever does the best work in the style you like regardless of the logistics, wherever possible!

I like most who've got quite a lot of tattoo work, have got some shit!

#22 · (Edited)
I am 70% covered and run a successful communications and security business, i hate the ways tattooing has become a fashion thin/ mainstream, I want people to still be horrified by it! Also to many young people running about with hands,face and neck tattooing as well, this should be the last thing you do in my opinion, and the "artists" making all theses visible tattoos should be outlawed, if a young person came in to the studio i use and asked for anything visible and was clearly not heavily tattooed they would be asked to leave. correct behaviour..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.