Volkszone Forum banner

My '67 Squareback resto.

7K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Narrow Minded 
#1 ·
Bought this square a couple of weeks ago with the intention of not doing a resto, but already been tempted to change things.
This is how car looked a couple of weeks ago:

Overall the car is in pretty good condition, but on closer inspection filler has been found in drivers door and o/s rear wing, a little rot where rear wings bolt in underneath and a little in spare wheel well. Not a lot for a Type 3 but enough to make me decide to strip and paint it.
In 2 hours last night car went from above to this:

Plans are to get it to workshop in next couple of weeks, take rear wings off and repair captive nut areas, repair small patch in spare wheel well.
A number of seals are to be replaced including, bonnet and rear hatch, front and rear screens all necessary light seals and new black wing beading. Thinking of painting L87 Pearl White.
Will keep posting as things develop.

Has anyone any ideas on how to fit the chrome strip in front and rear seals, front seal is currently more like a 'cal look' seal with no chrome strip and back seal appears to have the chrome strip stuck onto the seal rather than fitted in the groove.

See less See more
#5 ·
alex1916v said:
looks sweet! dunno abou the seal thing its possibl its been changed witht he inccorect one, i do know for a fact that the chrome trim has to be pushed into the seal before fitting the glass!

to me thats rust free!!!
Car now at paint shop, have took front and rear windows out, rear seal was definately incorrect seal, chrome strip came off ok so will try your method of fitting chrome first when rebuilding, thanks

#7 ·
Work is slow on the Square due to other commitments, but is going to be even slower now after the rear wings were removed and this lot was found on a supposedly RUSTFREE car from Aussie

The rear wings are equally as bad having previously had holes repaired with sheet metal being pot riveted from the inside onto the wing and then filled to try and hide the repair.
Suppose this will teach me not to buy any VW's unseen as i did with this one, and more importantly, believe nobodies description of a car, especially when described as a MINT RUSTFREE '67 SQUAREBACK!!!!

#8 ·
Squares are a night mare in the rear wings the rear wings hide a lot of things the worst place is where the strenthener is as it joins to about three diffrent panals.If it where a uk car it would be 10 times as worse.Good luck mate it will be worth it in the end. Was the car originally blue !

#9 ·
panelvan 76 said:
Squares are a night mare in the rear wings the rear wings hide a lot of things the worst place is where the strenthener is as it joins to about three diffrent panals.If it where a uk car it would be 10 times as worse.Good luck mate it will be worth it in the end. Was the car originally blue !
Although the inner wings look blue in places, i think this is more to do with the camera than the car, under front bonnet there is still the original paint code sticker of Lotus White.

#10 ·
Hi Adrian. Good luck with the resto, car looks nice. Makes me wanna get my 63 Aussie square stripped for the resto. Just gotta finish the late bug I'm doing first. :)
BTW it is a Aussie spec car so shouldn't have a moustache, just in case you didn't know that.
Also weird stuff like bullets ( not normal for 67s ), no side markers, plus weird Aussie only ignition barrel setup.
:)

#14 ·
tailgate
all wings
floor pans
htr channels
rear bulkhead
front bulkhead
all bumper mounts

i wish i had started with your car instead of a UK RHD :rolleyes:

i know if it was advertised rustfree then thats different, unless the seller had the wings off they were brave-stupid-dishonest delete as required, to advertise it rust free

my car has had every thing coated in severeal layers of POR15 - body off - seamed dsealed - waxoyled and after all that i bet it still rusts in time s the generic design is a water trap

cool tho :D

#16 ·
the reverend bagette said:
tailgate
all wings
floor pans
htr channels
rear bulkhead
front bulkhead
all bumper mounts

i wish i had started with your car instead of a UK RHD :rolleyes:

i know if it was advertised rustfree then thats different, unless the seller had the wings off they were brave-stupid-dishonest delete as required, to advertise it rust free

my car has had every thing coated in severeal layers of POR15 - body off - seamed dsealed - waxoyled and after all that i bet it still rusts in time s the generic design is a water trap

cool tho :D
ive got to do
all inner wings
floors
heaterchannels
front valance
door pillars
front bulkhead strut
under the rear seat
the centre tunnel
rear bulkhead
engine bay
gutters
window frames
all bolt on panels part froom bootlid

#17 ·
Loverly sqaure you've got there the reverend bagette :D

pitslayer666 said:
ive got to do
all inner wings
floors
heaterchannels
front valance
door pillars
front bulkhead strut
under the rear seat
the centre tunnel
rear bulkhead
engine bay
gutters
window frames
all bolt on panels part froom bootlid
I did wonder why an early sqaure was going so cheap :lol: :lol:

#18 ·
corndog said:
Loverly sqaure you've got there the reverend bagette :D

I did wonder why an early sqaure was going so cheap :lol: :lol:
huh?
my sqaure was solid, especially for an unrestored uk car that was sat in someones garden for 17 years lol
my fastback is the one thats fucked and needs all that replacing

#19 ·
Repair work started today.
This is what we had at the beginningof the day,

Cut the rot away and found this,

Cleaned up a bit

And a bit of fabricating later,

Then on with the bought panels,

Then before i left, thought i would have a look at the other side, what a mistake!

#24 ·
Cheers Adrian, any progress over the Xmas period then? I've got a fastback handbook with detailed descriptions of refitting the chrome finisher in the window seals. As said before fit the seal to the glass, then install finisher for which the book recommends using a metal(copper) tube almost flattened at one end to open up the section in the seal where the finisher fits. Then fit glass back to body. I'll scan it in next week if it'll help.

Gav

#26 ·
G4V BR said:
Cheers Adrian, any progress over the Xmas period then? I've got a fastback handbook with detailed descriptions of refitting the chrome finisher in the window seals. As said before fit the seal to the glass, then install finisher for which the book recommends using a metal(copper) tube almost flattened at one end to open up the section in the seal where the finisher fits. Then fit glass back to body. I'll scan it in next week if it'll help.

Gav
Gav. a scan would be great, cheers mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.