Volkszone Forum banner

Sunset VW club circa 1988 to 1993?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  69Coupe 
#1 ·
Hi

Any x-members of the Sunset VW club still floating around the scene?

we were based at the pub in Bovingdon from what I remember just outside of Chesham.

Lee was the old gessa running it - he was around 24yrs old way back then.....ha ha ha oh to be young again.

I joined up with my mates, Scott Lacey, Paul Gratham? Daren.

We did most of the shows for a couple of years then started surfing for a while before loosing touch - or at least I lost touch!

Chortle (Gareth)

If your out there - Hi, how you doing...?:bandit:

#2 ·
The pub was the Golden Eagle in Ashley Green - between Berkhamsted and Chesham. At the time I was 18-19 yrs old and went with a guy called Ian Peirson who had a mat black bug. We only went a few times. A porsche club started there in the late 90's on a Wednesday nite. We later joined Low e Nuff in Hatfield and then Buzzard Bugs in Leighton Buzzard which was a great social young club run by Mad Martin - happy days. Kids today have no idea.....

#3 ·
OK... i was a member of the Sunset VW club.. i used to drive a black, grey and blue Baja and came from Hitchin. The club was run by Neville Pierson who lived in Dunstable... they were the good ole days. We used to meet at The Cock and Bottle in Little Gaddesden... then moved up to The Eagle in Ashley Green. I am still in touch with Linda from Watford who had a baby blue 1200... i see Lee every now and then when in Hemel and i believe that he still works at the old Abbey Motors Ford dealers... I would love to hear from any old members having just bought myself a 3 owner mint 1200 Marina Blue 72 bug... Will be at Bug Jam 28 this year... making me feel old as i remember BG1 like it was yesterday. Sunset reunion anyone??

#5 ·
Yea Highdubber, that's me. Myself and two step brothers, Nick and James used to be based at the top of Cross Oak Rd. In berkhamsted. Good times. If you have a copy of the clasic manual "how to keep you beetle alive" have a look at the back cover. There's a big clue as to where the club name came from...

#6 · (Edited)
I’ll try to fill in a few details as I remember them. This was all a long time ago (early/mid 1980’s) so I will avoid too many details and certainly dates until I have a chance to check. We were a bunch of mates all living in the Berkhamsted area, who for the most part drove Beetles or derivatives (or aspired to). At that time I had a dark blue 1972 1300 that went through various engine transformations whilst I owned it. After one particularly hilarious and drunken weekend at the National Showground for VW Action (I think), we thought we should form ourselves into some sort of loose fraternity. Neville Pearson & I (Nick Edelsten) had the germination of this idea to set up a club and called it Sunset. If I looked deep enough in the detritus of my life I might find my membership card No 001. Dom & Sue did the logo which was inspired by the back cover of the inspirational “how to….” Book. We were not affiliated to any other body and didn’t take the whole thing particularly seriously. What we did do was go to events and meet up from time to time, starting at the Rose & Crown in Cholesbury, but when that was sold and we were no longer welcome to various other venues in the area, some of which I see mentioned in earlier posts.
Various names I recall were Dave (aka Hairy Dave, aka my step bro), James (my bro - Black T1), Caroline & Nev + his bro, Paul. Primer Green Pete, Sue (red), Dom (KG), Aaron (Baja), Linda etc there were more but my memory fails me.
I recall that we returned in following years to the National Showground and one year won the “Bug Push” this was our most famous moment having secured a team photo in one of the VW mags of the day.
Like all things in life, some of us moved away and new people came in, so I have no idea where things went after the first three years or so.
If I find any memorabilia, photos etc., I'll post them.
I'm still in the area and see Dom + my Bro's from time to time. Moved on from VeeDubs about 10 years ago once I decided couldn't face a clutch change outdoors in December!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.