Volkszone Forum banner

T25 engine upgrades.

Engine 
141K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  Drew64 
#1 ·
1.9 AAZ ,
There are 2 ways of doing it,easy way is too use a jx turbo,manifold etc,then all the original engine mountings will fit,the AAZ is a taller block though,so I drill extra holes on the rear panel mountings and spacer blocks up the front.The engine then clears the engine lid.This way stretches the turbo oil return a bit,but it works.you will need to mod the throttle cable and swap some other bits over as well.

The more expensive way is to use the AAZ turbo,this way you need to use a modded lh engine mounting,modify the turbo oil return pipe and fabricate an exhaust down pipe.you get the true bhp this way, 75 bhp.

You can run this all with a standard box and will give you much better torque and drivability.

The only pit fall is low mileage AAZ's are hard to come by,either buy one and re condition it/pay to have it done or some engine builders will swap a worn jx for an AAZ,but you need all the ancilaries,pump,pulleys,alternator etc.

I just bought a knackered AAZ on ebay for £20,just for the parts.

This is assuming you are upgarding from a jx.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Tdi conversion,
Tdi's are a fly by wire engine,so there is a lot of electrical work involved,but everything is available to buy off the shelf,I will include some links later.This totals up to be quite an expensive conversion as it needs to run an uprated gearbox as well.

The most popular donor is a mk3 golf as you dont need the clocks to run it,mk4 golfs have the immobiliser circuit in the clocks.so again more electrical work.I always buy the whole car,so I can test it prior to taking it apart.

Anything up to a 110 bhp is all roughly the same to modify.

Pd's 115,130 and 150 bhp's all need a lot more work.

To be undertaken in a diy capacity you need to be good at modifying,they all need a lh engine mounting if the donor is golf/bora,both sides if it a passat,modded exhaust,oil feed return pipe,intercooler pipes etc.

Everything you need is available here.
http://stores.shop.ebay.de/TDI-Umbau__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I carry some of Thomas's stuff in stock though.

#3 ·
Subaru conversion,
This conversion is bags of fun,it puts as mile on my face everytime I drive my bluestar,it makes it like driving a mk1 golf gti van.

Richard at RJES has spent years working on all the conversion stuff,everything is available off the shelf,even down to a modded throttle cable.It makes doing this a lot easier.

The most simple installs is the 1.8,2.0,2.2 these are all single cam heads and can be run with a standard fuel tank and gearbox.I run standard brakes on mine,but I have renewed the lot,new calipers work better than 25 year old ones.

The 2.5 is a quad cam,so a little more work is involved,all 2.5's should have the top end pulled down prior to install,as head gasked failurer is a problem.

The turbo engine is obviously the most powerful,but requires the most work to install.I am doing this on my blueatar and will be happy to start a blog if anyone is interested.

#15 ·
Hi Spannerboy, I am after getting an AAZ conversion to my T25 LLE. The 1.6 td engine and gearbox seems like its being thrashed at 60. Do you know who does the conversions and even supply of the parts to do the job? I am know the basics but this is far too complicated for me. Appreciate any help, cheers Scott

#19 ·
T25 with 1Z engine

I have a 1988 T25 Multivan with a 1Z engine... engine came from a Mk3 golf (1996 - 1.9 TDI VW Golf).

Was wondering if anyone can help?

It cruises at 80kph at 3000rpm. Not a lot...
What can I do to improve this?

cruising at 120kph+ would be ideal.
Will uprating the gearbox do the job, if so how can I do this?

#20 ·
I have a 1988 T25 Multivan with a 1Z engine... engine came from a Mk3 golf (1996 - 1.9 TDI VW Golf).

Was wondering if anyone can help?

It cruises at 80kph at 3000rpm. Not a lot...
What can I do to improve this?

cruising at 120kph+ would be ideal.
Will uprating the gearbox do the job, if so how can I do this?

#31 ·
i run a 1.9 auto box in my t25 , what engine would you be able to fit to it giving a better cruising speed and more mpg ? at what cost

thanks
I am just finishing an auto at the moment,it is my first one so we are taking it slow and making sure it is right,we have upgraded the cooling and fitted a an external cooler,finding the fittings has proved trying.

We have rebuilt the box as the clutches struggled as a 2,5 has gone in this one,it wasnt as expensive as I thought as well(580) that was to replace all the clutches.

I have also bought a dud second hand box to play with the governor and get it changing gear later.

The inital experience was good,I have made a hybrid throttle cable utilising one of rjes's one with and a scooby one.this allows the kick down to be used,although to be honest with 175 bhp you realy dont need it.

With an auto the only option is to use an adaptor plate,I use ds tunings one although kenedy do one to,but the rest of the parts are rjes.

I will update as it goes on,but your are welcome to come down for a ride in it when it is done,although there will only be a small window as the customer will want it back asap:lol:

#35 ·
Hi

I have a 1984 transporter the guys I bought it off had put a 2.6 ford capri engine in it - we were intending to go back to a VW engine at some point, however this has now become rather more desperate as it seized yesterday and is beyond repair -aaarrrggghhh :mad:

My question to anyone that can help is .......

What VW engines can I put in without too much bother does it need to be another transporter engine or would any VW watercooled engine be ok ?

Any advice gratefully recieved :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.