Volkszone Forum banner

Breathing life in 1600tp

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  kiwitodd 
#1 ·
Hi
Looking to give a bit more life into the stocker I have
Thinking
Twin dell36 with vintage speed airfilters with breather pipes , going to breather tower
V.s exhaust with heaters
Serpentine kit?
Thin sump
Cb pump to make external oil cooler?

Cheers

#7 ·
Twin 36s and the airfilters, although those air filters will do nothing that a standard one won't. Forget breather towers, they are bolt on junk that will most likely make your engine worse, the stock one is best. Serpentine kit, looks great but unless you are going to be making super high revs it is pointless. Oil cooler on a stocker will probably make it worse. Get your self a stock SVDA and fit an Accuspark ignition module. Those fancy dissys won't give you anything that a stock unit doesn't already do. Don't bother with deep sumps they are pointless.

Personally I'd fit the carbs, exhaust and electronic ignition and then make sure the rest of the ancillaries are as good as they can be. i.e Make sure all the correct tinware is in place with flaps and a thermostat. Don't bother with repro tinware, s/h OE stuff is far superior. Once all that is done, see how it is. The carbs will give you a fair boost in power on their own.

After that start looking at heads and cams.

#19 ·
port heads and match inlet manifolds, 3 angle valve seat cut. poss flycut the heads to bump the c/r up. cam and valve springs. 8 dowl the flywheel/crank.
if it's going to be used hard on the road then i would fit a deep sump and prob a windage tray in the case as oil surge while cornering can be a real engine killer.
Doubt you will need a extra cooler on a road car but full flow is a must so you can fit a proper oil filter. A stock size oil pump will be more than up to the task.
If you really want to go for it with stock compents , polish the rods once they all wiegh the same, match the weights of the pistons.
you need to match all the parts , no point in fitting a cam that lifts to .500" if the heads run out of flow at .450" lift. same with carbs and exhaust, i see it all the time. carbs and exhaust far to big for the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.