Volkszone Forum banner

aston martin style kitcar

204K views 2K replies 78 participants last post by  old bug racer 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Impossible? no. Difficult, yes. The amount of stuff in an original genuine interior that won pass due to radius of corners, lack of padding etc...

The guy building a ford pop over on RR to go through the IVA shows how even the smallest detail such as a switch having the wrong profile will see you fail.

#10 ·
There's also still a metric ton of work needed.

Check out the fuel filler door. Looks like an indentation, so would need cutting out, recesses making, an appropriate mechanism for opening and releasing finding and a door making.

That's before the petrol goes anywhere! And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

#14 ·
I think a kitcar manufacturer will buy this , as this would generate a lot of interest possibly end up a good a good business venture, , the only other one I know of of an aston martin is that capri based one as mentioned before. which wasn't the best .

in the same vein I really really really like these , http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381909805181?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

always a few complete kits for sale in usa
but one for sale in uk http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1936-AUBU...695128?hash=item33bb6b2c18:g:ohwAAOSwo4pYQaPM

#24 ·
Aston, Bentley and Mercedes are really hot to trot on copies or replicas of their cars.

Bentley have taken people to court in the US and stamped all over them. One of the Bentley replica guys went on to build his own designed car and it appeared in the new Suicide Squad movie as Jokers car.

Aston send nice letters for anything other than home builds (which if your not selling it as an Aston they can't do much about.)

Mercedes as you've seen don't mess about either. They even recently managed to trademark 'gullwing' after years of fighting for it.

Lambo shut down a number of replica companies in the 90s.

Strangely, Ferrari doesn't seem quite so vigilant and nor does Porsche. Think of all the 356 replicas they could come and crush if they wanted too...

#25 ·
Aston, Bentley and Mercedes are really hot to trot on copies or replicas of their cars.

Bentley have taken people to court in the US and stamped all over them. One of the Bentley replica guys went on to build his own designed car and it appeared in the new Suicide Squad movie as Jokers car.

Aston send nice letters for anything other than home builds (which if your not selling it as an Aston they can't do much about.)

Mercedes as you've seen don't mess about either. They even recently managed to trademark 'gullwing' after years of fighting for it.

Lambo shut down a number of replica companies in the 90s.

Strangely, Ferrari doesn't seem quite so vigilant and nor does Porsche. Think of all the 356 replicas they could come and crush if they wanted too...
What actual harm is caused to the factory by the production of replicas? All it does is bring attention to the brand.

Mercedes, Lamborgini et al, are not going to be producing the old models anytime soon, and the original cars won't lose any value.

Personally, I'd be slightly flattered that one of my 50+ year old designs was considered worthy of copying.

#27 ·
when ive been to kitcar shows the manufactures often put black tape over the badges, which suggests to me the car itself is ok but using lambo or similar copy badges isn't.

I don't think Lamborghini really bothered to much about copies of older models but audi their parent company do about modern car copies
Ferrari as said don't seem to bothered about copies.

#53 · (Edited)
#54 ·