Volkszone Forum banner

Any gas / central heating engineers?

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  76 
#1 ·
Your advice please.

My builder accidentally cut the gas pipe that goes to the gas fire under the floor while preparing for underfloor heating. (don't worry the gas was off).

He has done some jiggery pokery and reconnected the pipe but since it has been reconnected, the gas fire doesn't light like it used to - if at all.

It used to be a case of open the brass tap, press and hold the rotary control while you get a strong hissing sound of the gas coming out and press ignition a few times and you get a pilot flame which after a few seconds leads to a fully blown gas fire.

Now there is only a feeble very low hissing sound and it hardly ignites after ages of pressing the control and pressing the ignition over and over to the point that you just give up and walk away.

Anyone got any ideas what has changed / gone wrong in this process? Thanks in advance :hangloose

#2 ·
Not a builder, plumber, gas fitter - but it reads like the gas flow is being restricted somehow. It's worth checking he hasn't crimped the pipe or something.

I'm guessing he re-joined the pipe with a fitting - perhaps that is blocked/partially blocked?

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify a few points...

The gas pipe was cut “cleanly” rather than snapped or bent off and broken.

The gas has been on for weeks as we are able to use our gas cooker with no problems or issues.

Since the repair.... there is no smell of gas. Not even a hint and it has been a few weeks since it was repaired. We’ve only noticed now because it is cold and we have been trying to get the fire on.

#7 ·
#10 ·
I'm not getting into the rights or wrongs of him coupling the pipe back up but theres not a lot of reason for him to do this task incorrectly assuming he's been around the 'trades' throughout his life:)

Have you had a lot of dusty works done? It could be something simple like the jets on the fire being blocked due to it?

Have you spoken to him about it? I'm sure he'd be more than happy to get one of his 'contacts' who is Gas Safe to take a look, I'm sure he'd prefer to work it this way rather than you hang him for it when you could have easily resolved it.:)

#16 ·
Gas safe fully qualified plumber heating engineer has been over to do some other work and had a good look and checked all the pipe work. In his opinion it is nothing to do with anything the builder has done and he has tested and checked any joints all the way back as far as he can see.

He reckons that it is something to with the Thermo coupler or some dust / lint has gone down the tube and might need a simple blow out or a little more attention in the form of a service.

#17 ·
Gas safe fully qualified plumber heating engineer has been over to do some other work and had a good look and checked all the pipe work. In his opinion it is nothing to do with anything the builder has done and he has tested and checked any joints all the way back as far as he can see.

He reckons that it is something to with the Thermo coupler or some dust / lint has gone down the tube and might need a simple blow out or a little more attention in the form of a service.
:) No too bad an ending then Del. Pleased you're sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.