VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales - View Single Post - Holiday home in France
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Jon Dimond
Saddest VZi'er 2018

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedubLove View Post
Afternoon all, I'm looking at buying a small holiday home in France and wondering if anyone has any experience.

Ideally I would like it around the Normandy area and a small holding with some land and outbuildings. Ideally I want it to be knackered so I can do it up.

Does anyone have any experience of what the costs are of living there such as local taxes (like our council tax) etc as the house will be standing empty quite a bit.

The idea is to buy now, do up over a few years then spend more time there in retirement.

Any advice or experience welcome, cheers!
Hi,

I live in Lower Normandy, close to the Pays de La Loire and Brittany borders. We bought our place around 3 years ago and love the life here. We have a fairly large property with barns etc and our 'combined' council tax is about 1050 a year, although most people seem to pay less!

Property in this area is dirt cheap and the choice plentiful. Older properties are not sought after by the French, so they fetch low prices. I have a couple of contacts at local immobiliers if this is the area you are after. We looked at a lot of properties on Cle France's website.

I'm more than happy to give you any advice I can, so please PM me if I can help. People will tell you it's a minefield, but it's really not.

Bon chance.
Jon
Jon Dimond is offline   Reply With Quote