Volkszone Forum banner

Classic beetle converting late doors.

Body 
808 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bada Ben 
#1 · (Edited)

Can you buy off the shelf the bracket circled in the photo above(picture just for reference), to covert Mexican doors to early seventies German doors? Or is it just a case of buying a pair of donor doors and transfering the bracket?
Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·

Can you buy off the shelf the bracket circled in the photo above, to covert Mexican doors to early seventies German doors? Or is it just a case of buying a pair of donor doors and transfering the bracket?
Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Just transfer the bracket. I did the opposite, converted an early 70s door to late 70s by welding captive nuts to the door for the later interior pull handle and removing the bracket. Sorry, I binned the bracket.

#3 ·
Thanks for replying.
this is one of the doors I'm using.

So to keep the original door internal parts,(trying to avoid buying repro window mechanism parts), is that the only option to weld those brackets onto the new door? Or can you use later internal parts on this style of door to avoid any welding, if that makes sense!?

#4 ·
I misunderstood, sorry the photo didn’t show on my computer. That mount is for the window winder. If the mechanism doesn’t reach, just extend it with a home made bracket, although I’m pretty sure the mechanism is very flexible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.