Volkszone Forum banner

Old VWs thread

16K views 101 replies 18 participants last post by  fatboyhog1 
#1 ·
Schwimmers is my particular thing, so here are some 166 photographs.

The British Army were very interested in the little vehicles, and assembled a few at the Volkswagen plant to be used by the occupying forces in the immediate post war period.

Here are some being tested by our guys - even taking out ‘ensa’ Girls on the water :D

Now, how about posting your favourite old VWs?
Let’s see them :D

Attachments

See less See more
#66 · (Edited)
Nice one, Type3 :D.
After not considering these weird military pick-up things for years, I see them on this thread and then last night Lovely Nathan in the Weed Huggers gave me one of his old books and it has a few pictures in - both the longer one and the shorter wheelbase version. According to this, the short one is designated type-100.

Sorry about my crap photos, I couldn't hold the book flat and my tablet at the same time:rolleyes:

Attachments

#73 ·
Time for a few more Heb's (and a cab). :)
Is that the 'Radclyffe Roadster', in the middle? I think it is.
I'm a big nerd :)lol:) so I find all this early history really interesting. I'm not sure but IIRC the story is that the roadster was Major Hirst and his superior Colonel Radclyffe's attempt at widening the model range of cars coming out of Wolfsburg in about 1946 - they designed and built one 2-seat cabrio roadster and one 4-seat cabrio. Radclyffe obviously fancied the look of the roadster and thought "I'm having that!":lol: and used it as his own personal transport.
These 2 cars became the basic models for the Hebmuller and the Karmann cabriolet.
Knowing me, the pic isn't even of the RR at all and I'm typing all this in error...:rolleyes::lol:

#89 ·
Found this from around 1983ish when on holiday. A group of guys posing in their Mk1 Convertible Golf nearby couldn't understand why I wanted my pic beside a ratty old bug, so my mum ended up taking my pic beside that too to shut them up...…...…..I didn't look as happy though lol

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.