Volkszone Forum banner

Digital Artist for computer games.

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Rigamortiz 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I work for a small UK games developer making 'casual' games for PC and Nintendo DS. We've had some great succsess over the last few years and are now looking to expand by hiring a team of artists.

I thought this was a great place to start considering the vast talent displayed on the snowdog thread! :lol:

Below are some examples of the kind of thing we're working on right now:

These have been created using a combination of photography, 3d modelling and overpainting.

If you'd like any more details please don't hesitate to contact me.

Since we cannot assist with relocation applicants should be local to the Cambridge / Ely / Huntingdon area. If you would like to be considered for this role please send me your portfolio. Experience in the games industry isn't necessary but would be an advantage.

Cheers,
Adrian.

adrian.biggs@inertiasoftware.com
07795 116666

See less See more
#2 ·
hey there just to ask is it only in house positions on offer, or are freelance positions considered or available,

photography, concept art, ect

thanks alot adrian

#3 ·
Hey Hex,

Yes, it is only in-house positions on offer.

The successful applicant will be expected to concept out ideas as well as create final, polished 2D scenes (+ characters and objects) using digital painting.

For a better idea of what I'm trying to describe I've put together a test brief. It uses actual assets from our current project, so as well as giving us an idea of the suitability of the candidate it gives you the chance to see an example of what you might be working on as a Digital Artist for Inertia: http://www.inertiasoftware.com/art_job_test/

#5 ·
hey there biggsy thanks for posting the brief but as its an in house production i wont be able to apply as i have a freelance busniess to up keep, its a shame as the prodject looks intresting and the quality of your companies work looks high, i wish you luck on finding an artist and on release of the title, thanks again.

#11 ·
The process we use is described in the brief, we use photo assets as well as digital painting (and a little 3D modelling) to create the scenes we want.

The formal job ad is as follows;
Based near Ely in Cambridgeshire, we are recruiting for the following positions to add to our team:

Senior Digital Artist:
Duties will include contribution of creative ideas, creating final polished artwork for game releases and being instrumental in building and effectively managing the art team.
Up to £45k p/a depending on experience and strength of portfolio.

Digital Artist:
Duties will include contribution of creative ideas, as well as creating final polished artwork for game releases including environments, characters and objects.
Up to £25k p/a depending on experience and strength of portfolio.

The successful applicants should follow direction well, show an ability to adapt to different artistic styles and display very good basic drawing skills. Fluency in Adobe Photoshop is essential, knowledge of 3D applications such as 3DS Max as well as industry experience would be an advantage but is by no means essential.

#15 ·
Wow, £25k per annum... Why am I at uni doing history? :(

I used to play around editing pictures together, just for the fun of it, doing a few of the things mentioned... Did these when I was like 16/17, taking screenshots from a game and editing them to try and blend them in with a background, and make dogfight scenes and such, painting on most of the highlights and shadows, the fire and smoke and things like that...

And digitally painted these:

Wish I had the skills to get a job like that

#17 ·
I might have a go at doing the challenge for applicants over the weekend, and if I'm happy with it, submitting it...

University is depressing me, and a wage doing something I enjoy really sounds good to me, plus Ely is only a short train journey from where I live outside of term.
Cheers :)

#18 ·
I might have a go at doing the challenge for applicants over the weekend, and if I'm happy with it, submitting it...

University is depressing me, and a wage doing something I enjoy really sounds good to me, plus Ely is only a short train journey from where I live outside of term.
Cheers :)
I wouldn't want to persuade anyone to leave their education, but just so you know we're considering year-out applicants too.

The wage is up to £25k: For a uni leaver / graduate we're looking closer to the £18k mark depending on skills and portfolio.

All the best,
Adrian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.