Volkszone Forum banner

My beetle 1970

109K views 407 replies 52 participants last post by  lamby1992 
#1 ·
Hello I have had my beetle for a few years now it was my first car when I was 18 I am now 20 and I'm geting ready to give it a proper restoration I'm not going to be building no show car it's for my self I'm planning on a low rat look on standard wheels I have just been getting a few bits done while I have been looking for a garage to rent. First of I have narrowed the front beam by 2 inches and started a bit of work on the inside

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I haven't done a lot on the car at the momment I have just bought some nice back windows for it of oldschool61 of here

And now it's time to get on with it finally have the garage sorted to work on my car I just got it in there this morning going to be its home for 6 months the longest I hope but with a baby due on the 30th of December it's looking less likely. Here is a pic of his new home
now it's strip down time.

#9 ·
Bit of a update first few hours on the beetle to night just stripping it down took the bumpers of and the wings of and all of the windows out I am after a bit of advice there are rust holes at the bottem left and right of the windscreen can you buy repair panels for the area or am I going to have make a panel ? Here is a pic
thanks hayden

#10 ·
I done a few hours after work to day my plan is to start on the back and work my way to the front my plan is to do all the welding I can on the shell with out taking the body of then take the body of and do the rest here is a few pic I will be doing some more tomorrow after work agen here Is a few hours with the wire wheel on a grinder wich I nearly chewed my face of witch it I hit a bolt and it bounced the grinder up and chewed up my jumper close shave forget what there like when there new.

And then I started to do a bit of welding tacked up rear bumper mount and tried the wing on
and here it is weldid up and a bit of primer.

#12 ·
Thans a lot just taking my time to get it right to day I fitted a little patch here
and the I painted the inside of engine bay with u pol weld throu primer
and then I sprayed some on the engine bay tray wich whas a really good fit and plug weldid it up I think it looks good
most of the time was spent getting the right angle on the rear bumper mount to fit the wing better I Endid up cuting the bumper mount and bending it and welding it back up
just wish I had more spare time I am working all the time always get busy round this time.

#14 ·
Did a few hours to night just a bit of patch work I finally have a Saturday to my self no over time thank god. And then on to dubfreeze on Sunday. Heres a few boring pics before.
and then after its not perfect will give it a bit more blending in tomorrow I was getting nagged by the mrs get get home haha hopefully I should have all of the welding done on the rear quarter by the end of Saturday I hope.

#16 ·
I have done a bit more to night after work a lot of my time has been on the wheel arch area cuting all of the old rotten bits out and drilling out spot welds I didn't take any pictures but I have my first hole day on it tomorrow so I will put another update on tomorrow night I also did a Bit of repair work it whasent rotten thrue but it was pitted so I made a patch and weldid it in here's a few pics
and after weldid all back up
thanks hayden

#17 ·
A bit of a update Its coming along slowly here's what I chopped out and sprayed the area that needs plug welding in zink primer
and here it is weldid up its not the best but the repair panel whasent the best of fits but hay it will proberbly bug me but I need the welding done before Christmas I'm sure it will look fine with filler on it
and I had the wire wheel on the grinder agen

#19 ·
I have got the repair panel tacked in I couldent get the curve right for the side panel the bottem kicked out a bit to much I gave it a bit of a beat down to fit better it's still not perfect but it's the best I could get it before I tacked it on i sprayed zink primmer to all the inside and the inside of the repair panel and test fitted the wing here it is tacked up I will weld it up fully tomorow I am not going to weld it to the heater Chanel tho as I will be replacing them
Hayden :D

#20 · (Edited)
Little update I have Friday afternoon and saterday at the unit I have been on a bit of a go slow on Friday I finished welding in the repair panel it's stil I realy bad fit so I going to have pull the slide hammer out I think I am not going to show a picture because it is realy bugging. Me haha I also had to weld a little patch near the gutter here is a picture of all of the quarter all weldid up I will do the heater channel and the backing cover when I separate the shell from the floor pan.

So I worked my way across weldid up loads of holes in the engine bay ware a alarm was fitted previously just need to clean all of the paint of
and the I moved on to the other side I started of with the bumper m
ount wich whent really well here is a pic of it tacked up and then weldid up
I was going to weld a new engine pay tray on but some had slapped a big massive repair panel on the body mount area whas is that big it is in the engine bay so I thought I would crack on with that next so I removed the repair panel and it came up like this
so I took a step back and giving it a bit of a think so I just patched up a realy bad pited area wich I think looks good
I am slowly chipping my way thrue it thanks for looking Hayden.

#23 ·
Thanks I haven't realy done much welding on cars so any advice would be grate I have done a little bit more cleaned all of the paint of in the engine bay and put the engine in to line up the other side tray I will prob get that plug weldid in on Thursday hopefully and then I have Monday and Tuesday booked of work so I can crack on with it then

#26 ·
I have done a bit more this week end on Friday night I poped the engine back in and tacked the other engine side tray in.
and this morning I got all the rear end back to bare metal there was a few areas that needid welding around the rear window and the top right of the engine bay here is a pic of it all in primer
and then I made my way round to the right there was a lot of rust at the bottom of the quarter window holes all over it and pitted badly
so it took me all afternoon to patch it all up. I am happy with the result tho just took up a lot of time
thanks for looking :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.