Project II '66 split. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Project II '66 split.

Say hello to my new project.

With the buggy nearing completion and me wanting a Vw I could drive all year round, and after realising I've had enough of tents, I hatched a plot to buy a splitscreen camper.

I arranged the budget and went on the search for something suitable.
I wanted something that could stay on the road whilst it I made it my own, this meant it had to be pretty much solid and complete, Although I wanted a bit of a blank canvas so I could put my own twist on it.

This one came with a Devon interior that's been converted to Lhd which isn't really my cup of tea so will be getting sold on to fund the project.

Stay tuned for more.
Old 30-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Well the drive back raised a few issues, the wipers, indicators and brake lights all stopped working,
Cleaning the terminals and replacing the spades with proper crimps and rubber boots has fixed the lights,
A new modern style flasher relay fixed the indicators, and the same treatment was given to the wiper motor and switch but there was still an intermittent fault, looks like the com on the motor is heavily warn, if you give the linkage a tug the motor will fire into life again, new motor on the cards I think,

Whilst working on the electrics the battery went dead and it refused to turn over, battery booster made no difference so the spare battery was fitted, still no joy!
Crawled underneath to check the starter motor, pulled it out and tested it on the bench, slow to engage and spin,
Again I cleaned the terminals and cleaned off the hard grease on the shaft and the throw out gear, tested it again and it nearly took off, result!

Took a look at the taped up wiring in the engine bay, the main power cables from the alternator to the battery and to the front of the car have been connected with cheap crimps, and looks like 2mm cable from the alternator to the battery which won't help the charging, so these will be redone.

Starter motor came off easily as the was no heater ducting or flap cable in the way, something else for the shopping list,

Notice a few bits missing, nothing major, only an engine bolt and lower shock bolt, I'm going to assume these fell out on the way home,

Not bad for a vehicle MOT'd a few weeks ago!

Whilst I had the kick panel cards off I checked out the bulge in the front panel, at some point there's been a crunch on the passenger side, the A pillar is a bit battered, and the skins been replaced, there's a poor lap joint repair up to the line of the V on the the front, its solid but not right so it'll get repaired when the times right.

Took the panel of the fresh air vent to look at the water leak, thankfully it looks ok in there just some surface rust, the front flap was stuck solid though so in heavy rain water would come in when driving, some wd40 sorted that,

It looks like there is some water coming through the rust bubble at the bottom of the front windows so I'm going to have these replaced soon hopefully, then the fun stuff can start
Old 30-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
spoonerdtg
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

looks good, and going by your buggy its going to be epic
spoonerdtg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Thanks, hopefully it won't be a constant evolution like the buggy and won't spend too much time off the road.

Spooner? Is that your surname? Any relation to the spooners in flamstead?
Old 30-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Lazy Andy
Wannabe Chat Slut

In order to provide a reference point in time that I can come back to later.... Haven't you finished this yet?!
Old 30-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Andy View Post
In order to provide a reference point in time that I can come back to later.... Haven't you finished this yet?!
We need to work on your vehicle inspection technique
Old 30-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Lazy Andy
Wannabe Chat Slut

Sounds like the one bit I acknowledged I wasn't checking was the bit I should've!

Maybe someone round here can tell you if the kick panels are supposed to be screwed on? If they clipped out like the bay I would've had a good look!
Old 31-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
spoonerdtg
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

yeah its my surname, they're not related I dont think? Never met them if they are lol
spoonerdtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

So the Devon interior is out ready to be shipped off to a new home

The first thing that I came across was the sound deadening on the rear deck, this was pretty manky and had some oil spilt on it,

It didn't take much to scrape it off,

Then a good scrub with panel cleaner,

Just a little surface rust around the seams and a little patch, I'll wire wheel these and sand around the hatch frame before zinc priming and adding some paint. Then I'll add some sound deadening.

When I pulled up the floor I found what is supposed to be a repaired sill, it's solid and the doors do shut so I'll probably leave it for now until I can get the whole sill replace and lined up properly.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to work on cars!

Seam sealer and paint bought for the rear, and I've ordered the front window repair sections from auto craft, hopefully I'll get these in before Christmas.

Martin.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
wastedspark
Seasoned Chat Slut

Just cleaning, kurust, and spot priming today,

In between paint drying I took photos of all the areas that need repair, and straightened up some of the wonky edges that hold th seals. Hopefully seam sealer and finish priming tomorrow.
Reply Post New Thread