Well the drive back raised a few issues, the wipers, indicators and brake lights all stopped working,
Cleaning the terminals and replacing the spades with proper crimps and rubber boots has fixed the lights,
A new modern style flasher relay fixed the indicators, and the same treatment was given to the wiper motor and switch but there was still an intermittent fault, looks like the com on the motor is heavily warn, if you give the linkage a tug the motor will fire into life again, new motor on the cards I think,
Whilst working on the electrics the battery went dead and it refused to turn over, battery booster made no difference so the spare battery was fitted, still no joy!
Crawled underneath to check the starter motor, pulled it out and tested it on the bench, slow to engage and spin,
Again I cleaned the terminals and cleaned off the hard grease on the shaft and the throw out gear, tested it again and it nearly took off, result!
Took a look at the taped up wiring in the engine bay, the main power cables from the alternator to the battery and to the front of the car have been connected with cheap crimps, and looks like 2mm cable from the alternator to the battery which won't help the charging, so these will be redone.
Starter motor came off easily as the was no heater ducting or flap cable in the way, something else for the shopping list,
Notice a few bits missing, nothing major, only an engine bolt and lower shock bolt, I'm going to assume these fell out on the way home,
Not bad for a vehicle MOT'd a few weeks ago!
Whilst I had the kick panel cards off I checked out the bulge in the front panel, at some point there's been a crunch on the passenger side, the A pillar is a bit battered, and the skins been replaced, there's a poor lap joint repair up to the line of the V on the the front, its solid but not right so it'll get repaired when the times right.
Took the panel of the fresh air vent to look at the water leak, thankfully it looks ok in there just some surface rust, the front flap was stuck solid though so in heavy rain water would come in when driving, some wd40 sorted that,
It looks like there is some water coming through the rust bubble at the bottom of the front windows so I'm going to have these replaced soon hopefully, then the fun stuff can start