Need some advice - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZi Small Business Forum

VZi Small Business Forum Volkszone has many entrepreneurs, self-employed and those who run their own companies. Please use this forum to ask (and answer) any small business related questions - employment law, tax laws, insurance, marketing, council rates, etc. Please DO NOT use it to tout for business or to plug your own company (please use the Yellow Pages forum for this) - any blatant 'plug' posts will be deleted and the posters may be reprimanded further. This is the ONLY warning you will receive - the idea is to help each others' businesses, not to take advantage - so please play nice.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
bat and ball
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Need some advice

Took voluntary redundancy got another 7 year's before I retire thinking of going on an pipe fitting agency know it's a bit of a bit of a minefield but was advised to get an accountant worked for the same firm for 38 year's so never had to worry about work but now iv got to stand on my own 2 feet. Heard some stories over the years how they rip blokes off left right and centre don't want to get caught out but not entirely sure what to do . Cheers Paul

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
bat and ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Who rip folk off? Accountants? Or the agencies?
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
bat and ball
Chat Virgin

Apparently the agencies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
Who rip folk off? Accountants? Or the agencies?
Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
mr slug
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat and ball View Post
Took voluntary redundancy got another 7 year's before I retire thinking of going on an pipe fitting agency know it's a bit of a bit of a minefield but was advised to get an accountant worked for the same firm for 38 year's so never had to worry about work but now iv got to stand on my own 2 feet. Heard some stories over the years how they rip blokes off left right and centre don't want to get caught out but not entirely sure what to do . Cheers Paul

So, am I to understand that you will be working freelance? Sub-contract style? Zero hours contract stuff?

If the 'pipe fitting' is part of the construction industry
(HMRC have a list of trades/job descriptions, that they classify as 'construction related')
Then a whole different set of rules and regulations apply.

However, you will find that much greater responsibility is loaded on tne 'main contractor' in construction related business, much less on the sub contractors - so you may find that doing your own tax return is simply a matter of filling in an online form.

It really does depend on the exact definition of your job, and your employment status.
mr slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
So, am I to understand that you will be working freelance? Sub-contract style? Zero hours contract stuff?

If the 'pipe fitting' is part of the construction industry
(HMRC have a list of trades/job descriptions, that they classify as 'construction related')
Then a whole different set of rules and regulations apply.

However, you will find that much greater responsibility is loaded on tne 'main contractor' in construction related business, much less on the sub contractors - so you may find that doing your own tax return is simply a matter of filling in an online form.

It really does depend on the exact definition of your job, and your employment status.
Yeah pretty much all this^^^

My limited knowledge/understanding of the pipeline business is that if you're willing to travel and be flexible they main contractors generally seem happy to take you on direct.

I know a couple of young lads that did it, the money appears good but you have to work for it and none of it is easy work. The lads I know who went for the work we're placed in the jobs purely by their size/physique in that you look big enough/strong enough to shift heavier stuff so you can go there. Both lads had no experience and were trained to do the relevant job on the job.

Agencies, yeah they'll get 20 an hour and pay you 10 but thats the nature of the industry.

Whatever you do, good luck
Old 13-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
bat and ball
Chat Virgin

Thanks for the info. Going to take a month off have my daughter son in law and my granddaughter from Antigua staying with me at the moment so have some time to look around cheers. Paul

Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
winchman
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Whats your location? I know a company who are looking for pipe type people in Liverpool.
winchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread