1600 wot can I do? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > JG54 Cal-Look/Performance/Racing Forum

JG54 Cal-Look/Performance/Racing Forum Into Hot Bugs, Drag Racing, F1, BTCC, Rallying, Performance Tuning, etc? In Here! Everyone welcome (not just Greenhearts) but please keep stuff on topic. Forum available for sponsorship

Reply Post New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default 1600 wot can I do?

Hi I have a trike with a 1600tp type 1 engine. I'm intending to do a few RWYB's next year.
No what I'm wondering is, if I get into it, what can I do to the engine to get the maximum performance out of it . I don't want to go above 1641, and I want to keep a single carburetor. So apart from that what do you recommend for performance?
66606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
farmer rob
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (2)

A single carb with the long inlet manifold will restrict it. If you swap to a twin choke single carb, you can get icing problems in the winter. So you might have to go with a pair of Weber 34ict's. The exhaust is the next thing to restrict it, if you put a tuned 4 into 1 exhaust on it, you will get more power. The beach buggy twin cannons look good but strangle top end, don't know what you are running now. Until you change these, any other mod's are a waist of time
farmer rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
sako
Chat Slapper

I agree with a pair of weber 34 ict carbs. From experience fit the thicker gaskets between the carb and manifold-these help with heat soak/hot starting. Balance/set up the carbs with the balance pipe blanked off then refit for driving-makes it smoother.
And yes a nice 4 into 1 exhaust will do wonders, but not too large in diameter.
And fit a electronic ignition distributor, I used a 009 and played around with the advance springs until I was happy with it all.

Happy trike-ing.

Last edited by sako; 10-08-2019 at 06:52 PM..
sako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
type3
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (10)

There’s some good books on on modifying aircooled engines:

How to Hot Rod Volkswagen Engines https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/09126560..._51wwDbJJ4V85N

Vw Beetle Performance Handbook (Motorbooks Workshop) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/07603046..._12wwDbGXNMAA6

Aircooled Vw Engine Interchange Manual (Motorbooks Workshop) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/07603031..._e4wwDb0P19B2P

type3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Duble agent V.W.Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer rob View Post
A single carb with the long inlet manifold will restrict it. If you swap to a twin choke single carb, you can get icing problems in the winter.

Everybody seems to say this but I had a 32/36 Weber on my 1.6 tp Bay and NEVER had any icing issues, even when I was spraying de icer on the inside of my windscreen going to work on a 6-2 shift. The heater tube under the bus was as airtight as a Brandy Snap!

I just thought I'd mention it.