Engine engine not rotating - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 24-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
adman020
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default engine not rotating

I'm doing a top end upgrade sp1300 to tp1600 (70 beetle) got to the stage of torqueing heads then discovered that when turning the flywheel it gets stuck when cylinder no1 piston goes back into the case. I took all apart again , took the no1 piston off and still something seems to be fouling?? I'm not sure it it's a stud, oil pump or something else that could cause this without splitting the case?

pic
https://ibb.co/DksnYgy
adman020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Mad build
Chat Slapper

You got to go back to basics. Check the cam followers are all seated through the push rod holes. Check the distributor drive is correctly seated and check you haven’t dropped something inside the case. Get a strong light and have a good look at everything that moves. Good luck
Mad build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
'77 Westy
Chat Slapper

Have you removed the distributor?
'77 Westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
old gh bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (8)

I had this once it was the one of the head studs going too far into the engine and hitting the crank it would go back and forward fine just hit in one place . Check if you have had the studs out that you have put them in the correct place as some are longer
old gh bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
adman020
Chat Slapper

yep dizzy removed. I think you might be right about head studs as I have just put some of the head studs back. I swear I have never had this issue while the engine has been out... I'm having the issue when piston 1 goes back into the case. Are there any specific lengths these studs should be? I have just bought 4 shorter studs for those middle ones as now it's a twinport.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
'77 Westy
Chat Slapper

If you turn the engine with the distributor removed the drive shaft can jam against and probably damage the brass gear on the crank – unless you also remove the distributor drive shaft of course.
'77 Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Have you also changed the oil pump or is it the same one ?

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
adman020
Chat Slapper

old gh bug you were right - it was the short head stud next to cylinder 3 that was too far in. Found this out as it had the most vibration when moving the flywheel by hand. At least I have lean't this now, not later cheers all
Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
old gh bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (8)

Result , easy done glad you got it sorted.
old gh bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread