So, subaru engines.... - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-02-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
dc66
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Default So, subaru engines....

Hi

I am more and more thinking about using subaru power in the special I'm building.

Can someone please educate me on the various options?

I see KEP kits, TSR, and RJRS. What are the pros and cons of these?
I don't want silly hp, a 2.0 non turbo will be enough. I may have access to a 2.0 Legacy as a complete donor car.

The special I'm building is a lightweight sports bodied car based on a '66 beetle chassis. I have converted to irs and I'm using a dc code type 3 gearbox. I plan to use it for weekends away and maybe the odd hill climb and sprint event.

Please help me decide on my engine choice!
dc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #2
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (7)

My vid might help, compares turbo and non turbo engines.

I assume the flywheel adaptor plate options use a stock vw friction plate, I know the rjes was and being a lightweight car can't see you having too much trouble with that setup. The difference between turbo and non turbo is night and day though in many ways. Again, shown in vid above.

If you find thr info even slightly useful you have to subscribe to my channel, that's the volks buddy law didn't you know? LOL Oh any you can criticise my metalwork skills in this Sundays vid when it goes live! Ha ha. Actually don't I might cry
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
Big Al

TSR flywheel kit and adaptor plate. Relatively cheap. SUHY on here had a mate that sild similar. Assume vw friction plate but should be ok with you and a Kennedy if needed. Stock vw box.

Rjes is a complete replacement bellhousing for 091 box. Stronger box but all that's costs in term of buying fitting and converting for it. I think it's then best option with vw parts and especially if you run a bus box. I have a Rjes modified first motion shaft in mine so run a stock scooby clutch too. It much more complicated than the top option and unnecessary imho for your non turbo setup.

Old 21-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
dc66
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
TSR flywheel kit and adaptor plate. Relatively cheap. SUHY on here had a mate that sild similar. Assume vw friction plate but should be ok with you and a Kennedy if needed. Stock vw box.

Rjes is a complete replacement bellhousing for 091 box. Stronger box but all that's costs in term of buying fitting and converting for it. I think it's then best option with vw parts and especially if you run a bus box. I have a Rjes modified first motion shaft in mine so run a stock scooby clutch too. It much more complicated than the top option and unnecessary imho for your non turbo setup.
Thanks Al
I'm really undecided on my engine choice. The engine that's in it at the moment is a 1.9dg wbx. It's from a van. A van for flips sake! No that just won't do

A subaru makes every bit of sense and it's my heads choice.

However...

My heart says the the car is Italian inspired so should have an Italian engine. So I've bought a flat 12 ferrari engine......... Ha ha not really!

No, my heart says alfa 1.7 boxer quad cam. It will make enough power and sound so much more in keeping with the style of the car. Revtastic!
TSR will make me an adaptor plate and I have a mate who builds and races alfa 33s.....
dc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
Big Al

There was a bell end who was selling his drag car and all bits and that had an alfa motor. Unfortunately I can't remember his name and I can't find the ebay ad.
I'll keep looking
Old 25-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Big Al

This is the car

He went by Moscoworbust on here I believe. I sold him a gearbox cheap thinking I was doing a fellow dubbers a good deed and then he made a load of shit up about the box and tried to sell it on for double. Complete scum imho.

He might have an alfa setup available still tho if he hasn't sodded off to Oz which was his plan, to join his fellow criminals ha ha ha
Old 26-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
booton
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

subaru engine is a great choice.

when choosing ur engine. check the specs as some 2 NA engine can range from 110 bhp to 135bhp standard. so u might as well choose the high output engine.

135 are harder to come by.
things wish i knew.
would pick a later engine with a obi port as many dont and have test plugs instead.
there are some good apps/ links for obi port so u can seen rpms engine temps etc on ur phone through app.
i have a kennedy kit with kenndy stage 1 pressure plate excedy clutch.
i've tuned engine slightly and clutch is solid no slip.
booton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Bundy
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Hi,
I have an RJES bellhousing I need to sell if you want to go down that route ;o)
Cheers
Al
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Bundy
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

also have converted loom and ecu from a 93 2.0 Legacy...
and intake manifold with RJES reverse intake pipe...
and reversed water manifold!
I best make a for sale add at some point!
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread