I just murdered Bert - Page 69 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion > Cool Thread Archive

Cool Thread Archive This archive contains threads that legends are made of. Big threads with controversial subjects, humorous threads . . . and threads with answers to frequently asked questions. Please take five minutes to check it out.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #681
johnnyghia
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanodynosaurs View Post
Mr Slug,

You should be a coachbuilder fella!

This is one of the best custom project i have ever seen, and your attention to detail is amazing!

Keep the good work up!

Dude
Agreed
Its taken me a few days to get through this tread. Its is an amazing build tread. You have super skills and imagination. Keep it up.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #682
User_Name
I really must get out more

is there anything this man can't do? i bet chuck norris wears Mr Slug pyjamas to bed!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #683
ade t
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

It just gets better...still struggle to comprehend that that was a beetle a year ago!!

Amazing and inspiring.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #684
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Thanks Johnny and Ade, I really appreciate the kind comments - and as for UN ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
is there anything this man can't do? i bet chuck norris wears Mr Slug pyjamas to bed!
.................That has to be the funniest and most inventive comment I have read in a long while .......thanks.

So anyway, yesterday I gave the beetle/schwimm a trial. Took it to deepest essex, drove cross country for a while, and have to report that the off road capability was fantastic. Then tried to reverse into the river (ready for a quick tow out if it all went wrong) The reeds and bottomless mud in the first location made it difficult to even get to the water. However, I eventually found a better spot in the river, but first went home and made a ridgid tow bar for my 4x4 Dodge truck. This enabled me to push the VW backwards into the water to see if it would float, and check for leaks. The rear end just started to float and no leaks, but the tow bar was too short to go further. This emboldened me to want to try and get it further into the water. My son was real keen to make the maiden voyage so I let him gently reverse into the water. As the front wheels were about half submerged, The water gushed in! - so Joe drove out quickly ........I took it home and found that I had forgotten to weld up some bolt holes in the front chassis cross member that were used to mount the old beetle body ...........

So, They were welded during the afternoon, ready for another try another day - I hope in the next few days

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #685
Enfo
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (1)

Almost there...This is what i've been waiting for, can you take a video camera with you on maiden voyage take 2?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #686
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfo View Post

Almost there...This is what i've been waiting for, can you take a video camera with you on maiden voyage take 2?
Thanks Enfo - I took a video camera with me ........but no one really wants to see a grown man crying

Oh, and I prefer to call this "watertight integrety test No1"........then I can keep the title of 'Maiden Voyage' for a more appropriate occaision
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #687
Beetlepixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Thanks Enfo - I took a video camera with me ........but no one really wants to see a grown man crying

Oh, and I prefer to call this "watertight integrety test No1"........then I can keep the title of 'Maiden Voyage' for a more appropriate occaision
bet the local ducks were looking on with some amusement! I cant believe how quickly this has come along hon- u are the mutt's nuts!

xx

Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #688
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlepixie View Post
bet the local ducks were looking on with some amusement! I cant believe how quickly this has come along hon- u are the mutt's nuts!

xx
- thank you.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #689
Storm84

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Thanks Johnny and Ade, I really appreciate the kind comments - and as for UN ?

.................That has to be the funniest and most inventive comment I have read in a long while .......thanks.

So anyway, yesterday I gave the beetle/schwimm a trial. Took it to deepest essex, drove cross country for a while, and have to report that the off road capability was fantastic. Then tried to reverse into the river (ready for a quick tow out if it all went wrong) The reeds and bottomless mud in the first location made it difficult to even get to the water. However, I eventually found a better spot in the river, but first went home and made a ridgid tow bar for my 4x4 Dodge truck. This enabled me to push the VW backwards into the water to see if it would float, and check for leaks. The rear end just started to float and no leaks, but the tow bar was too short to go further. This emboldened me to want to try and get it further into the water. My son was real keen to make the maiden voyage so I let him gently reverse into the water. As the front wheels were about half submerged, The water gushed in! - so Joe drove out quickly ........I took it home and found that I had forgotten to weld up some bolt holes in the front chassis cross member that were used to mount the old beetle body ...........

So, They were welded during the afternoon, ready for another try another day - I hope in the next few days

Absolutely brilliant
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #690
mott

Love the 1/2 submerged picks in the Reeds....
Can't wait for the Video

Great work Mr Slug been following this thread since the start, if i had the space i'd love to get back into Metal work

PS3 mottrex20