Beekeeping - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
the darkside
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Beekeeping

My 2.5 year old son is starting to get involved lol
https://youtu.be/ron3cZ-iQfA
the darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Seasoned Chat Slut

Cool stuff. What are you actually checking for in the video?

Do the bees swarm in that quantity normally when the hives are closed/undisturbed?
Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
the darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 View Post
Cool stuff. What are you actually checking for in the video?

Do the bees swarm in that quantity normally when the hives are closed/undisturbed?
She is checking for brood,eggs ,the queen.its end of rape flower now so will be looking at taking that honey as rape flower makes honey chrystalise and will make any new honey chrystalise as well.they can get a bit agitated obviously but soon calm down with the smoker and when it all shut up again.he gets stung everytime but hes fearless and was eating comb through his veil.an icepop normally cures him.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
clatters69
Seasoned Chat Slut

I got my first colony a few weeks ago. As a hobby it’s truly addictive. My kids are a little older than yours (6 and 8) but they’re just as enthusiastic.

My main colony has 3 supers on at the moment, so hopefully there’ll be a decent crop of honey, but as it was such a strong colony I’ve been able to put three frames into a nuc box to create a subsidiary colony.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Seasoned Chat Slut

It all sounds really interesting and something I have thought about, I'm very conscious of preserving the honey Bees, cleverer people than me tell me we're over without them and they are currently in decline

My wife isn't so keen on swarms of Bees in the garden I'll keep on plugging away
Old 10-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
the darkside

Quote:
It all sounds really interesting and something I have thought about, I'm very conscious of preserving the honey Bees, cleverer people than me tell me we're over without them and they are currently in decline

My wife isn't so keen on swarms of Bees in the garden I'll keep on plugging away
We have 3 hives in the garden and my son plays in it all the time never really any bother at all they just get on with their job.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
the darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatters69 View Post
I got my first colony a few weeks ago. As a hobby itís truly addictive. My kids are a little older than yours (6 and 8) but theyíre just as enthusiastic.

My main colony has 3 supers on at the moment, so hopefully thereíll be a decent crop of honey, but as it was such a strong colony Iíve been able to put three frames into a nuc box to create a subsidiary colony.
My missus did a split a couple of weeks ago and we have another nuc of bees coming on Thursday morning weather permitting.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
clatters69
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:

Colonies can be managed to reduce, but not eliminate, the chances of swarming. If they do swarm and you can catch them then youíve got another colony to put into a spare hive or nuc box.

If youíre interested in taking it up then most beekeeping clubs hold apiary visits or taster days.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
clatters69
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darkside View Post
My missus did a split a couple of weeks ago and we have another nuc of bees coming on Thursday morning weather permitting.