Dvla v5 question - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
atlas2l8v
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Dvla v5 question

Logbook question for clarification

I'm going to need to change my v5 to show the engine change from my subaru conversion and also the taxation class to historic

Am I right in thinking firstly I need to send off the v5 with the engine cc change and a letter from a garage with the engine number, wait for the v5 to come back and then change the taxation class at the post office with a valid MOT. (Needs the MOT due to the substantial change)

Cheers

I was first thinking i would change the tax class and tax it at the post office then send the logbook off re the engine change
atlas2l8v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Manxdavid
I really must get out more

Change to Historic first, engine change on a historic vehicle doesn't need documentary proof but the person who opens your envelope in Swansea may not be aware of that. They often need reminding of their own rules.

http://i56.tinypic.com/v41m6p.jpg

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)

Last edited by Manxdavid; 10-06-2019 at 08:38 AM..
Manxdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #3
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxdavid View Post
Change to Historic first, engine change on a historic vehicle doesn't need documentary proof but the person who opens your envelope in Swansea may not be aware of that. They often need reminding of their own rules.

http://i56.tinypic.com/v41m6p.jpg
An engine change does need proof. So it needs a verification letter from someone reputable like a garage that carries out MOTs.

Doesnt need photo proof, just an invoice like document from said garage to confirm 'Replacement engine fitted, new engine cc and new engine number....'

As for taxation class, that should change automatically, or you could just phone them up and check that. Basically its not something the end user changes, but essentially you should be able to do all of it at once.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Manxdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone 666 View Post
An engine change does need proof. So it needs a verification letter from someone reputable like a garage that carries out MOTs.

Doesnt need photo proof, just an invoice like document from said garage to confirm 'Replacement engine fitted, new engine cc and new engine number....'

As for taxation class, that should change automatically, or you could just phone them up and check that. Basically its not something the end user changes, but essentially you should be able to do all of it at once.
Not so. Vehicles in the Historic tax category no longer need documentary proof, not since 2014, see letter from DVLA to Federation of Historic Vehicle Clubs:

The February (2014) newsletter of the FBHVC announced the DVLA change of policy for Historic Vehicle engine changes and anticipated that there may be difficulties:

"Verification of Engine changes.

This was a subject that has been causing some difficulties. DVLA have now made a statement as follows:

‘I note that the issue of evidence to support notifications of engine change also features [in the list of questions]. As you are aware, this was raised at the recent meeting with the Minister. I am pleased to confirm that this policy has been reviewed and that it will no longer be necessary for keepers of vehicles in the Historic class - date of manufacture before 1 Jan 1973 - to provide evidence to support an engine notification. Grateful if you can pass this information on to your members’.

Tax group will not change automatically, it needs to be done when taxing the vehicle thru the post office.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)

Last edited by Manxdavid; 11-06-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Old 11-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxdavid View Post
Vehicles in the Historic tax category no longer need documentary proof, not since 2014, see letter from DVLA to Federation of Historic Vehicle Clubs:

The February (2014) newsletter of the FBHVC announced the DVLA change of policy for Historic Vehicle engine changes and anticipated that there may be difficulties:

"Verification of Engine changes.

This was a subject that has been causing some difficulties. DVLA have now made a statement as follows:

‘I note that the issue of evidence to support notifications of engine change also features [in the list of questions]. As you are aware, this was raised at the recent meeting with the Minister. I am pleased to confirm that this policy has been reviewed and that it will no longer be necessary for keepers of vehicles in the Historic class - date of manufacture before 1 Jan 1973 - to provide evidence to support an engine notification. Grateful if you can pass this information on to your members’.

Tax group will not change automatically, it needs to be done when taxing the vehicle thru the post office.
Last time I had a historic change was about 2007, which the van was technically old enough (A 72) but was still taxable according to the class, I taxed it first, which triggered a historic taxation change and I got a refund. I get the feeling I have had a beetle more recently change as I moved house (but had a big wadge of log books at the time I was changing).

My experience of engine swaps was around the time just before that letter, however you'll also note vehicles built before 73, but vehicles later are now tax/MOT exempt, My experience of the DVLA is often they are idiots, when I did an engine swap, I had a hand written letter/invoice from the guy I bought the engine off and they still wouldnt accept the engine change without something official. So my local mechanic who does my MOT's just wrote an invoice out with the new details on, few weeks and the logbook just turns up with no questions.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Manxdavid

DVLA often need reminding of their own rules due to poor staff training.

The post office are now doing some of their work since local offices closed (like checking and sending V5Cs off for taxation class change).

Last edited by Manxdavid; 11-06-2019 at 04:40 PM..
Reply Post New Thread