1.3 mk2 golf 5 speed conversion? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > H20

H20 The watercooled scene is growing quickly in the UK - talk with other owners here. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum in Chat/Discussion) . . . and please don't use JUST to post links to other VW Forums/websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted. Forum available for sponsorship

Reply Post New Thread

Old 31-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
texasyeller
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default 1.3 mk2 golf 5 speed conversion?

hi all, ive just bought a 1.3 mk2 golf with a noisy four speed box, and a spare 5 speed box from a good 1.6 ryder. could anyone advise what other bits i need to get together for the conversion, or would it be a straight swap? not realy played with watercoolers much, so any advice appreciated!

cheers, loz
texasyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
bug.mania
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (4)

you may struggle to get that gearbox to fit as the 1.3 is a small block and the 1.6 is a big block, your best bet is to get a polo box but the gearing is different, your best bet is to get another 4 speed what i had and did fine
'14 new beetle - sold :(
'09 golf - sold and regretting it :(
bug.mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
texasyeller
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

aha! just what i needed to know, cheers mate! im off to see a vw scrappy on thurs, so ill see what i can find, might even be able to swap em the box that came with it. was there a 1.3 5 speed box that i could track down? would be great for fuel economy, and it looks like my commutes going to get longer soon...
texasyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Buzz Lightyear

Trading feedback: (0)

[MOD EDIT] NO buying/selling in this forum!
Old 17-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
13 window deluxe
Chat Slapper

some mk2's came with a 3+e box this has the normal 3 gears then a taller economy fourth (like changing1-2-3-5) that will drop your revs on the motorway/bypass
13 window deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear View Post
[MOD EDIT] NO buying/selling in this forum!
Sorry.
Old 19-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
bug.mania

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 window deluxe View Post
some mk2's came with a 3+e box this has the normal 3 gears then a taller economy fourth (like changing1-2-3-5) that will drop your revs on the motorway/bypass
soem did come with 5 speed boxes but the ratios are pants stick with the 4 speed best retios for the engine
'14 new beetle - sold :(
'09 golf - sold and regretting it :(
bug.mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Tommy D
So. Manc VW Club

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (6)

when your at the scrappy dude, keep your eyes out for a 1.6, we could do a conversion...

i know a scrappy with a base model jetta in the yard... might have a decent box on it... also an S reg lupo... do some research!

Check us out Today
Better than anything else locally because there isnt anything locally

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...40779525980071

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
walshc
Wannabe Chat Slut

Sorry for thread jaxk, but you got the details on that scrappy TommyD? i need a set of headlamps for my jetta, im only in Manchester too
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
luckystrike
Seasoned Chat Slut

Little bit confusing in here, so clarity time.

Yours is a small block, as mentioned so you need a small block gearbox. This will be any gearbox off a 900cc mk1 polo up to a 1.3 6n polo, including all golfs and polos in between with engine sizes 1300cc or lower. Some 1.4 mk3 golf engine boxes fit too but it's easier to ignore them as it's specific codes you need.

From these boxes there are 4 speeds (like yours), 'bona fide' 5 speeds like the polo GT and g40 boxes and '4+e' gearboxes which are essentially a regular 4 speed box with a taller 'economy' 5th gear grafted on. Ive never seen a 3+e, but they may exist.

A 4 speed box will be a straight swap for you - old off, new one, bish bash bosh. A 5 speed (or 4+e) would need the gearbox mount changing as well as they differ between 4 and 5 speed boxes. You'll also need to readjust the linkage to account for the 5th gear. Other than that, it's bolt on.

Any box from a 1.5 or larger engine is a different design, and won't fit.

Polo GT and G40 boxes are short ratio so you'll probably rev at about the same in top gear at 70 as you currently do, there's just an extra gear to get up there. I personally love 4+e boxes as you can get ridiculous economy - just don't expect it to move at all in top gear. Get up to speed in 4th, then bung it in e and sit there.
Reply Post New Thread