Insurance Company moan/question - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Insurance Section > Insurance Discussions

Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Default Insurance Company moan/question

so its that magic time of the year I hate where my insurance renews, normally I leave it to do its thing.

This year I thought I'll really push the boat out and actually try seeing if its cheaper to move some of my insurance. I have mine with RH for my Classic camper and Admiral for my T4, Golf and my mrs new Volvo(new to her, 18 plate so still pretty new, but not showroom new!). I've been with Admiral since about 2011 and probably similar amount of time with RH, so I thought maybe I should compare costs (often its much of a muchness)

Low and behold, RH are generally cheaper, for my Mrs Volvo, my T4, but my golf is more expensive, when you actually add it up, the T4 is half the price to insure and its the best part of 160 difference, but the Volvo and the golf collectively work out about the same.

A no Brainer you might think? Move the T4 over to RH and save 160 quid, leave the other 2 where they are. Nope! If I take the T4 off my policy with admiral, I get less discount on the other 2 cars, which surprisingly means you save ZERO!

It gets better, I'm a week off renewal and somebody bumps into the back of my Mrs Volvo. We have had the Volvo 8 weeks, my Mrs was pretty pissed off as its a car shes wanted for a while (I was even nice and let her trade in my mk7 golf, along with her Fabia so she didnt have to outlay so much cash). Its done really tiny amount of cosmetic damage (visibly its made a couple of marks the size of a 50P total) but we are more concerned about the fact the bump is right near the parking sensors and who knows whatever else volvo stick behind the bumper to detect incoming swedish meatball attacks or whatever. So doing the right thing my Mrs phones the insurance company( as she wants it properly checked over and the minor damage repaired), the bloke who was a nob and didnt stop quickly enough because he was too close (even though my Mrs was already on the brakes slowing down) didnt want to go through the insurance company because he's a newish driver and it'll make his insurance go up, what I dont get is why my insurance has gone up! Apparently he thinks it could be settled without the insurance as it looks fairly cheap to repair, because he drives rally cars in his spare time or something, says alot really doesnt it.

So going through all the pricing today for the renewal with admiral(before I check with RH) and it worked out to add about 200 to my insurance policy, I'm like what the hell! Its a non fault accident for us, yet for some reason despite the fact the offending party's insurance should be footing the entire bill and we should carry on as usual I get scalded a reasonable wedge on my policy, anyone know/experience that before?

The lady at admiral was nice enough (and in Canada!) and did alsorts of tweaks and stuff, being polite and helpful, including applying maximum discounts and stuff, but my insurance is still 40 more expensive than it would have been a week ago when there was less discount and no accident

About 5 years ago my other half had somebody also run in to the back of her car (she stalled at a roundabout as mk6 golf diesels dont have a great throttle response and the person behind admitted they were looking at the round about not her car) at which time she was in my car, so I took it to VW as that was nearest place as it would need a bumper and I wanted genuine parts (turns out my local VW are shit at painting and bodywork though) This time round my Mrs says as its her car we'll just go through Admirals repairers, who's nearest bodyshop is about 25+ miles away, the second option was at least 15 miles from where my other half works! So we said well it might need to go to Volvo, because the cars still got 2 years Factory Warranty on it and we want to make sure its maintained, the repair lot apparently didnt like that, or the fact my mrs is now out of the country on business for most of the week.

I ask myself what I am actually paying for, as it seems other peoples incompetence, or is it just me?

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
clarkson

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone 666 View Post
so its that magic time of the year I hate where my insurance renews, normally I leave it to do its thing.

This year I thought I'll really push the boat out and actually try seeing if its cheaper to move some of my insurance. I have mine with RH for my Classic camper and Admiral for my T4, Golf and my mrs new Volvo(new to her, 18 plate so still pretty new, but not showroom new!). I've been with Admiral since about 2011 and probably similar amount of time with RH, so I thought maybe I should compare costs (often its much of a muchness)

Low and behold, RH are generally cheaper, for my Mrs Volvo, my T4, but my golf is more expensive, when you actually add it up, the T4 is half the price to insure and its the best part of 160 difference, but the Volvo and the golf collectively work out about the same.

A no Brainer you might think? Move the T4 over to RH and save 160 quid, leave the other 2 where they are. Nope! If I take the T4 off my policy with admiral, I get less discount on the other 2 cars, which surprisingly means you save ZERO!

It gets better, I'm a week off renewal and somebody bumps into the back of my Mrs Volvo. We have had the Volvo 8 weeks, my Mrs was pretty pissed off as its a car shes wanted for a while (I was even nice and let her trade in my mk7 golf, along with her Fabia so she didnt have to outlay so much cash). Its done really tiny amount of cosmetic damage (visibly its made a couple of marks the size of a 50P total) but we are more concerned about the fact the bump is right near the parking sensors and who knows whatever else volvo stick behind the bumper to detect incoming swedish meatball attacks or whatever. So doing the right thing my Mrs phones the insurance company( as she wants it properly checked over and the minor damage repaired), the bloke who was a nob and didnt stop quickly enough because he was too close (even though my Mrs was already on the brakes slowing down) didnt want to go through the insurance company because he's a newish driver and it'll make his insurance go up, what I dont get is why my insurance has gone up! Apparently he thinks it could be settled without the insurance as it looks fairly cheap to repair, because he drives rally cars in his spare time or something, says alot really doesnt it.

So going through all the pricing today for the renewal with admiral(before I check with RH) and it worked out to add about 200 to my insurance policy, I'm like what the hell! Its a non fault accident for us, yet for some reason despite the fact the offending party's insurance should be footing the entire bill and we should carry on as usual I get scalded a reasonable wedge on my policy, anyone know/experience that before?

The lady at admiral was nice enough (and in Canada!) and did alsorts of tweaks and stuff, being polite and helpful, including applying maximum discounts and stuff, but my insurance is still 40 more expensive than it would have been a week ago when there was less discount and no accident

About 5 years ago my other half had somebody also run in to the back of her car (she stalled at a roundabout as mk6 golf diesels dont have a great throttle response and the person behind admitted they were looking at the round about not her car) at which time she was in my car, so I took it to VW as that was nearest place as it would need a bumper and I wanted genuine parts (turns out my local VW are shit at painting and bodywork though) This time round my Mrs says as its her car we'll just go through Admirals repairers, who's nearest bodyshop is about 25+ miles away, the second option was at least 15 miles from where my other half works! So we said well it might need to go to Volvo, because the cars still got 2 years Factory Warranty on it and we want to make sure its maintained, the repair lot apparently didnt like that, or the fact my mrs is now out of the country on business for most of the week.

I ask myself what I am actually paying for, as it seems other peoples incompetence, or is it just me?
I got hit from the side by a driver that didn't stop. There were witnesses. It was not my fault. My insurance went up.

I got hit in the rear whilst stationary, the other driver took total responsibility. It was not may fault. My insurance went up.

I got hit in the side by a stupid bitch that was on her phone. There were witnesses, she was charged by the Police. It was not my fault. My insurance went up.

Insurance is basically a legalised form of extortion.
Old 23-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
flat4fanatic

Trading feedback: (8)

Insurance will screw you every possible way they can. They're out to make maximum profits for their shareholders, nothing else.
flat4fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
mickB
Plastic Manc Glory Hunter

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
I got hit from the side by a driver that didn't stop. There were witnesses. It was not my fault. My insurance went up.

I got hit in the rear whilst stationary, the other driver took total responsibility. It was not may fault. My insurance went up.

I got hit in the side by a stupid bitch that was on her phone. There were witnesses, she was charged by the Police. It was not my fault. My insurance went up.

Insurance is basically a legalised form of extortion.
Must remember not to get a lift from Clarkson.....
Old 23-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickB View Post
Must remember not to get a lift from Clarkson.....
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread