Volkszone Forum banner

Useful Tools

28K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  yellow_spider 
#1 ·
Apart from the usual screwdrivers / plieres / socket sets / timing light / axle stands etc , heres a few tools i have found to be very useful for working on my dub (and others too) :)

Pipette

Very useful tool for removal of brake fluid and other fluids.

DeadBlow Hammer

Great for persuading brake drums off that are stuck without much risk of damage to the drum.

Griping Pliers

These are great for rounded off brake pipe unions / nipples / bolts as they grip tighter the more you turn. Nearly always removes stubborn fixings allowing replacement.

Brake Shoe Hold Down Tool

Does not look much but good for holding the shoe hold down clips and twisting them on easily.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pipe Clamps

Easily and safely shut off rubber pipes (fuel / brake hose etc) without risk of damage while working.

S-Shaped Spanners

Extremely useful for tight spots such as around the carb nuts

Ratchet Spanners

Easy to use and a great time saver. Everyone should have a set of these.

Magnetic Telescopic Pickup

Excellent for retrieving small metal parts you drop (nuts / washers etc) where you shouldnt.

#3 ·
Large Grips

Useful for a variety of purposes.

Large BallJoint Fork

A bit brutal (the joint will probably be damaged) but an easy way to seperate balljoints that need replacement anyway.

Flexible Claw Pickup

Great for when you drop something and cant get your hand in to reach it. The stem is very flexible allowing you to reach into small spaces with ease.

Large Prybar

Useful for several jobs when a bit of extra leverage is needed.

Ball Joint Removers

Easy to use tools to remove balljoints.

:)

#14 ·
My tool list grows all the time. 1/2 in. socket set is a god-send after a 3/8 in. So much more power. That said I use the 3/8 and 1/4 in. sets quite often too.

Can't beat a nice long bar either, invaluable. Yellow Spider, you forgot the most important tools of all for the garage though...

and

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.