Another Scrapyard Rescue thread - this time a 1303 - Page 17 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 24-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #161
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

One done, three to do!!!!!
I've spent hours trying to get the seals onto the glass (still struggling with the windscreen seal). And putting the chrome trim in place is no easier. Wish I'd of just settled for cal look rubbers now!
Would love to know how they tackled this job at the factory with hundreds of cars being produced each week.

1911type4bug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #162
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Received the correct windscreen seal today and got that fitted to the new front screen. Just need to fit the chrome trim to it now.

Also got the other rear quarter and rear window chrome trim fitted.

Old 27-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #163
psimitar
Help! I'm trapped in here

Is that the metal trim or later chromed plastic bead? Different method for both to make em go in easily.

My '59 Beetle Resto Part I

My '59 Beetle Resto Part II

56 Oval Resto
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #164
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimitar View Post
Is that the metal trim or later chromed plastic bead? Different method for both to make em go in easily.
I think the metal trim was for cars upto 71 and 72 on was the plastic trim.
Think I've got the hang of it now, I just bought one of the tools to open the trim seal up, which made it slightly easier.
Just need to finish the front windscreen now which requires two sections of plastic trim. Got one run in already, but had to order another section to finish it off.
Out of interest, what is the best methods for both types of trim?
Old 14-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #165
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Some more prep photo's.

Old 20-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #166
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911type4bug View Post
I think the metal trim was for cars upto 71 and 72 on was the plastic trim.
Think I've got the hang of it now, I just bought one of the tools to open the trim seal up, which made it slightly easier.
Just need to finish the front windscreen now which requires two sections of plastic trim. Got one run in already, but had to order another section to finish it off.
Out of interest, what is the best methods for both types of trim?
The way I learnt is the metal trim goes in before fitting to the glass. There is a tool that gets it in there once on the glass but I didn't have too much trouble the other way.
The chromed plastic bead is meant to be the 'locking' strip. The glass is fitted to the body with the seal on it and then a tool spreads the rubber so the locking strip can be fed into the rubber. Soapy water/rubber lube help with this.
The tools like a wire in the shape of a broad arrow with a small roller near the handle. You push the tool forward so the roller presses the bead into the rubber.

56 Oval Resto
Old 20-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #167
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimitar View Post
The way I learnt is the metal trim goes in before fitting to the glass. There is a tool that gets it in there once on the glass but I didn't have too much trouble the other way.
The chromed plastic bead is meant to be the 'locking' strip. The glass is fitted to the body with the seal on it and then a tool spreads the rubber so the locking strip can be fed into the rubber. Soapy water/rubber lube help with this.
The tools like a wire in the shape of a broad arrow with a small roller near the handle. You push the tool forward so the roller presses the bead into the rubber.
Thanks for replying.
I'm trying to fit the chrome plastic trim to the seal while out of the car, does that mean I'm doing it incorrectly? So I should fit the glass and seal to the car first?
I am still struggling with it especially in the corners.
I do have a tool similar to the one you mentioned, minus the roller and it's a bit of a struggle, a roller pushing it down at the back would help considerably.
Old 21-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #168
psimitar

Yea, fitted after teh windows in the aperture. The early metal trim was decorative only and due to the way it fits the seal is easier fitted off the vehicle.

The later chrome plastic is both functional and decorative. It is known as the locking strip as it locks the seal and glass into place.

Now I can't find the tool I used as that was 20 years ago but this video shows a good tool. The rear of the hole the strip goes through is more flat and helps with pushing the strip into the seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0a2ATnQw4

56 Oval Resto
Old 21-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #169
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Thanks for that.
I wrongly assumed that the later plastic trim had to be inserted before fitting to the car, like the early metal trim otherwise the seal groove would close if installed first, making it impossible to put the chrome trim in.
That tool makes it look a lot easier to install.
I've seen two versions sold in the UK, one with a fixed head and the other with multiple attachments which areŁ40. I opted for the cheaper one with the fixed head.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #170
1911type4bug
Seasoned Chat Slut

Going to be checking and rebuilding these on Friday.

Drive shafts already cleaned and stone chipped.

Reply Post New Thread