Little Horus VWDRC build - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #11
runningmonkey
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

So I ended up braking first gear at big bang I needed to get the box out and repair resulting in me miss volkslife : ( John rag top 63 repaired the gear for me and gave it an overall at a cost of 270 which I thought was a great price! Iv now got the box back and been building it back up again. This is actually only the second time I have fitted a swing axle box in all my years of messing with beetles. I totally forgot about the paper shims you have to fit on the axles and after spending a good few hours building the box up I realised that it was complete lock up! So Iv now had to dismantle the box again and order the paper shims from Machine7. Hopefully I will have the box rebuild (again) for Monday fitted Wednesday and Engine back in for weekend.

20150603_201755_zpsgm7loewi by John Mills, on Flickr

Hoping to get the car tuned and set up before bugjam 2015.

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1189194

Last edited by runningmonkey; 10-08-2017 at 02:46 PM..
runningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
runningmonkey

A friend of mine once told me that -

'Once you start, you'll spent the rest of your life chasing number'

I laugh at this statement and told him - It would never happen to me, am more then happy with my 13 second street car!!

He was off course completely correct!

So 2015 season is over bring on 2016 and the search for 12 and pro! (maybe)

My plan over the winter is to change from my old style 009 distributor to a new MSD electric ignition system, Fit a larger bore exhurst (currently running small flange 1 Inch) So going large flange and 1 5/8. and I'll see if I can put the car on a diet to lose a few grams which may include ditching the battery and going for a lightweight red top race battery but will see how all that turns out.

Best time of the season 13.15 @ 101 MPH

I have to post this picture up from Nation finals

21783383695_29cb9ac3dd_b_zpsi2x5xf9a by John Mills, on Flickr

Heres my winter upgrade to the car, Its out with the points and condensor and in with a MSD full set up

IMG_20151103_210541_zpswwwrzmeq by John Mills, on Flickr

IMG_20151103_205417_zpsmfx6hwx7 by John Mills, on Flickr

This bad boy look pretty tricky to setup and install but will give me more control. I can setup a launch control so in theory should get more consistent time as I will always be leaving the line at the same RPM. Will also produce and more more powerful spark and and again in theory should increase power. The amount of wiring that's in the box is very scary tho I can see this thing coursing me a few headaches and maybe the odd swear word in the install!

Last edited by runningmonkey; 10-08-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Old 04-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
runningmonkey

IMG_20151028_132131 1_zpsfajqdtjk by John Mills, on Flickr

Iv had a good look at the wiring and at first it seemed like a real nightmare combined with the instruction book for the control box being 30 pages thick and the instruction book for the Dizzy being another 20 pages thick I thought this is not going to end well

But I got it all out last night and did a kind of mock up on the floor, and after reading the instructions it actually seem straight (ish) forward.

The quality of the products is very good, I was really impressed the plugs leads on there own are a work of art. You even get a small device in the box that helps you trim and cut the leads down if there to long.

It will be a few weeks before I get round to installing this lot. Anyone any idea about setting up the dizzy? They have a mechanical advance system inside which is set up springs which you can change, for now I think I'll leave it as factory until I get more advance on to set it up. Also need to work out ware to put the 2 stage rev limiter switch for when I lurnch, I may put it on the handbrake but not sure yet.

Last edited by runningmonkey; 12-07-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
kaferboy
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Always been a big fan of this car (I had a very similar 54 for a while) nice to see you're still developing it too John.
kaferboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
runningmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferboy View Post
Always been a big fan of this car (I had a very similar 54 for a while) nice to see you're still developing it too John.
Cheers dude! Started the MSD install this weekend

IMG_20151213_143900_zpsqkf47isb by John Mills, on Flickr

This control box (when working ) Should give me a 2 stage set with launch control, Going to put the switch on my handbrake and am thinking of setting it at 3600RPM for the launch, Can't wait to get this up and running and back on the strip!

Last edited by runningmonkey; 12-07-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Old 14-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #16
leec

Trading feedback: (3)

I don't think 3600rpm is enough. With slicks it will bog.
Old 15-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
MrShifter
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Tend to agree with Lee's thoughts here. You'll need more launch RPM's you might get away with 4500-5000 rpm to start with, should be ok on DOT's but expect bogging on slicks. If your running slicks assume your box is " built " strongly enough to cope with the shock loading of launching at higher RPM's. Like Jamie said good to see your continual development of the Oval's performance.

Shane.
MrShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #18
markv8
Wannabe Chat Slut

awsome car mate , i had a bad year last with broken bits,, now rebuilding mine and after reading this , it has given me a wake up call see you out on the track
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattleandhum1/
the vintage speed bug
DKR
markv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 01:46 AM   #19
type3
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (10)

Very cool Oval.
type3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #20
1303 German Looker
Wannabe Chat Slut

Good luck John
Nice to know that you will back to form next year. Somebody I know is watching you!
1303 German Looker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread