Little Horus VWDRC build - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 14-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #21
runningmonkey
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leec View Post
I don't think 3600rpm is enough. With slicks it will bog.
Its what Iv been launching at for the past few seasons, its somewhere between 3500 & 4000, Last time I launched higher I killed the box.

Here's a little up date of what Iv been up to over the winter, Iv didn't planned on doing any upgrades to the car for the new season as I finished 2015 and the car was running perfect, how ever I went a little mad lol

So MSD is now full installed! And the cars running well and sounds like a beast! At best guess am hoping for a boast in horse power by fitting this kit (maybe between 5 & 10) As the multi spark system fires a lot stronger then the standard one, and it will give me launch control. So this will be a fun thing to try out in the 2016 season

IMG_20160211_200604_zpsvehktsor by John Mills, on Flickr

Second upgrade (A unplanned one) Is the exhaust, this popped up at the right price on a facebook group so I snap it up! A gene berg exhaust, it's 1 3/4 which is a lot bigger then my standard vw heritage 1 1/4 exhaust. Again am hoping for a boast in HP by adding this. It was a major pain in the arse to fit because of the size difference, It much bigger! It means if I want to fit the muffler I now need to remove the rear support bar. This is anit such a problem as it's only a 10 minute job to do just means I have to spend a little more transferring the car for road going to strip.

IMG_20160214_105701_zpscqzoanxa by John Mills, on Flickr

Third upgrade (no picture sorry) I changed my extended oil sump for a smaller one, Not sure if this was wise? I had a empi 3.5 ltr one fitted which I have changed to a 1.5 ltr one. My thinking behind this is that am pretty sure that there is no need to carry so much extra oil in the car and I feeling the 3.5 ltr one was just overkill. It will also save some weight as am now 2 ltr of oil less, This may bite me in the arse but will see.

Fourth upgrade, Drip tray! I have a small leak on my case (another reason why I change the oil sump as I was hoping it was that and not the case) turns out the leak is coming from the case which I can't fix without replacing it. The leak is very small but I thought I fit a drip tray just in case

IMG_20160214_133335_zpsa9wapewt by John Mills, on Flickr

I picked this from DTH Scotland, I also picked up (again unplanned) a rear seat blank and a set of rear door cards all made from alloy not sure when I'll get round to fitting them?

IMG_20160214_105642_zpsjfdse7de by John Mills, on Flickr

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1189194

Last edited by runningmonkey; 12-07-2017 at 11:05 PM..
runningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #22
runningmonkey

I think am going to remove the rear red carpet and clean all the luggage area up by removing the soundproofing and spray the area black to match the rest of the car, The seat blank (which as present is just a peace of timber under the carpet) will be replaced with the alloy one made by DTH

Last edited by runningmonkey; 12-07-2017 at 11:06 PM..
Old 15-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #23
type3
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (10)

Good progress!
type3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #24
kaferboy
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

nice work buddy!
kaferboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
DTH
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

Good to see it coming together John

VW Pro 161 - [email protected]

www.dthvw.com
DTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #26
runningmonkey

Finally got round to fitting the Erco's I picked up last year and took the car out to our local meet, it was blue sky's and a lovely sunny day (which was lucky as I still had the M&H on the back)

IMG_20160319_172841_zpse76aglmr by John Mills, on Flickr

Last edited by runningmonkey; 12-07-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Old 22-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
runningmonkey

update of my 2016 VWDRC

My first event of the year was at bigbang (seems a very long time ago now!) After several disappointing runs at bigbang (best being a 13.6) and one 15.00 in Saturdays qualifying I arrived back at the pits to discover a small engine rattle after a little investigation with help for Rob Judd we fired up the engine again which then seized on the spot

I also had to send the MSD box back as it turns out it was faulty as the 2 stage launch control didn't work all in all not a great weekend

I got the engine out a few weeks later and we split the case to find that one of the bolts on a con rod had snapped leaving the con rod free to wreck havoc inside the case. The result is we need a new engine case, barrel and pistons and con rods, everything else was savable.

As a new case was needed I decided to up the CC from 2180 to 2276 (going from 92mm to 94mm)

By the time the next event had arrived we have all the parts and are ready to put the engine back together, but unfortunately the guy who is machining the heads for me (from 92mm to 94mm) has let us down so the engine wasn't ready for the next event at the Summer nationals

However I did manage to borrow a 1300cc (don't snigger) off Phil Unsworth for the next event so I fitting it for Summer nationals and ran some very slow 22 second runs. I did dial in at 22 and ran a 22.02 which put me in number 1 qualifier.

IMG_20160615_173741_zpsdsoyhvwc by John Mills, on Flickr

IMG_20160615_173659_zpsd0er1fyh by John Mills, on Flickr

I was hoping that I could race at Bugjam (but the heads still didn't arrive) I was then hoping to race at Avon Park (still no heads) and I was hoping to race at the last event of the year the National finals (but you'v guessed it still no heads!)

Turns out that the first head fell off a pallet and it damaged the cooling fins. Was told he would replace it ASAP. The second one was then machine incorrectly and it now scrap! So they said they will pay for and replace the heads less the cost of what he was charging me for the machine work which was 150.00, which I thought was fair but iv been waiting now since may for the new heads to turn up. So that one break down at bigbang really ended my season.

So in the mean time the only job I done on the car is a bit of interior tinkering, I got some alloy door cards made by DHT in Scotland. Iv also replace the carpet area that covered the battery with another alloy panel again made by DHT. (oh and Iv replaced the fault MSD with a one one)

IMG_20160908_175041_zpskeda6r80 by John Mills, on Flickr

IMG_20160908_175058_zpsublu5jiz by John Mills, on Flickr

Last edited by runningmonkey; 13-07-2017 at 02:21 PM..
Old 25-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #28
volksrod
I'm not an addict... honest!

Nice panelling.
Old 15-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #29
runningmonkey

Just got engine back (finally) from the engine builders. So it's now all systems go to get the engine fitted over Christmas and run in over the new year and January. Iv made some upgrades to the engine from last years spec, in 2016 at Bigbang I had already upgraded the exhaust system and fitted an MSD so was hoping for better times but they never came and the engine let go on the 3rd run of the day. Now Iv increased from 2180cc to 2276cc and have upgraded the cylinder heads to Scat pro street (full spec below)

So am hoping to smash my PB in 2017, my best run today (before the roll cage was fitted was 12.87 @ 103, after the cage fitment (this of course added more weight to the car) my best time has been 13.15. With the new larger captaincy engine better heads, larger bore exhaust and MSD am expecting the car make easy 12's to mid 12's maybe even low 12's but from my experiences of racing air-cooled engines the latter will probably not happen and we will break down at the first race meeting!

IMG_20161214_182845_zpsvub3eb0x by John Mills, on Flickr

AutoLinea ASC Race case
94mm AA Barrel and pistons
Bugpack 82mm Crank
FK89 cam with scat straight cut gears
Scat Pro wedge ported Cylinder heads 44x37
Scat 1.4 Rockers
1.5Ltr extended sump
Gene Burg 4 into 1 header 1 3/4 exhaust
Full MSD set up
Kennedy stage 2 clutch plate

Last edited by runningmonkey; 13-07-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Old 16-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #30
veedweeb
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Glad to see the engine has finally turned up.

I'm looking forward to seeing this back on the track again
veedweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread