PUG the 1303 eBay bug - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #21
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

With the rear crossmember piece tacked in place
Rear body mount and plates welded up

Had hoped the heater channel on this side could be saved but had pin holes all through it and bad case of rot up front so with the crossmember and rear body mount holding everything in place.

I used dexion to brace across opening and between a and be posts
Had to buy heater channel from heritage and was happy with quality for price when it arrived,until I turned it over,they now use rivnuts for floorpan bolts !!!!!!!!!!!

Welded them in for fear of them pulling or twisting ,

Welded them all up tapped threads and stone chipped painted channel bottom before tacking in
skip*rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #22
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

The b posts on later cars are welded along a sor of slot where post flange meets heater channel

A post was in very good shape

With the good pattern crossmember as a reference channel fitted.

Worst part is the way 03 channels pass under the front crossmember , right from the start I had no intention of splitting the shell from the pan, I have a beetle in that process already!
Old 06-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #23
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quick picture of bulkhead where channel passes under and accepts fixing bracket which has completely rotted out.

Before channel was fitted I made a new captive pate and angle (it should be a small open box section in 2mm steel but I opted for the angle for ease will weld a closing side in 2mm for strength before inner wing panel is repaired

Welded in before channel was in place

Bolted up through channel

Bulkhead also required a small repair before channel was finally in place.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
fatboyhog1
Double-0-3

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (4)

Some good work there. Mine is in a similar place but I have separated the body and chassis. Most of my channel is good except the front from the door post. There bottom plate will be replaced with a hookeys one and as the front bit has rusted out there is nothing to weld it to so today I will be cutting that out. I'll try and post some pics later. It looks to me that there is a seam weld along both sides of the channel where it bolts on at the front under the bulkhead, is that right?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #25
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Will see if I can find some more pictures of that area
I will seam the exposed side but I have no access to the bottom of the heater channel as it passes under front bulkhead because Iíve not split the shell and pan, I would assume it would have been seam welded along that junction though,Iím going to seam the flange on the heater Chanel to the inner bulkhead panel and spot the outer return lip.
Few more pics..
A post tacked
B post tacked
Door back on to check fit
I took loads of dims around for apeture before I started and wrote on rear quarter ,everything when back the same but channel a pears a few mm shorter in height section
s
Door fitted perfect the seal to heater Chanel gap is good so welded a and b post in position, for some reason later cars look like they have bigger gaps around doors but width of apeture is still 950/951.
Sstarted rear quarter
Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #26
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

I use neodymium magnets from work to hold over lap on panels then a few Cleco panel pins

When I happy with the line and dims 1mm disc through both panels removing as little of original metal as possible.
Also dress the drain hole to form small flange
Panel cut and frosts intergrips hold in place

Bit more fiddling

Welded in
These new klockenshite panels are awful !
Old 07-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #27
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Welds ground back small amount of distortion will beat out and skim fill
Old 07-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #28
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

The one thing that lets this car down is the roof has a couple of dents ripples in it and Iím dreading tackling it!
Did consider a rag roof but not sure as it will be my daily and used in all weathers!,
My other idea was frowned upon by entire family , seriously considered decorating the whole shell with sweet wrappers and cut up soft drink cans then lacquer over.......LITTER BUG 😂 I thought this was a stroke of genius😂😂😂 but sadly not😩
Old 08-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #29
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (6)

Looks like its coming along nicely.

I virtually needed to flatten the klokkerholm 1/4 panel repair on mine and rebend it as it was nowhere near the right shape.
Mine had been replaced badly before, filled with an inch of filler and rotted out again so maybe i was just unlucky.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #30
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Had weekend away camping at TOMIE in our t25 excellent weekend came back with new enthusiasm!
Had posted for pictures in mech help as someone had taken a hammer to fitting steering uj speedy Jim came up trumps with a couple of pics of lh drive so just reversed them
[IMG][/IMG]
Masking tape template
[IMG][/IMG]
Transferred to card for reference
[IMG][/IMG]
Then in new steel just got this from frost restoration good price delivered
[IMG][/IMG]
Also cleaned off all the underseal /Shultz that had been appied under bonnet!
Shock towers really good
[IMG]
[/IMG]
Wheel well needss a couple of patches
After a few taps with my body hammer the bulges turned to holes
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Still have other side to clean off though just getting used to smell of white spirit and standard thinners��
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by skip*rat; 08-05-2018 at 09:51 PM..
Reply Post New Thread