If you're gonna make a special, make it special - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (6)

Looks like this is gonna be a thread to watch.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
dc66
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik da Greek View Post
Looking forward to seeing this take shape. My initial feeling is that this...

will impact seriously on this...

...but after two years' thinking about it you've clearly done your homework Watching with interest
The regs are strict on sharp edges. No external seams, outward punched louvers that kind of thing. Body shape is less important. There needs to be a "crumple zone" ahead of the front wheels. The steering column needed some thought too.
dc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
dc66

And yes, I've been researching the regs for ages now. In fact it's driven me a bit mad! I can't help looking at current custom cars and think "oh that won't pass, look at the state of that!" Etc.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
dc66

The one area that has caused more sleepless afternoons than any has been the engine choice. At first I figured that there was no rush, I can decide at the end. However that is not the case as I need to build in the rear engine mounts and I also need to ensure the bodywork won't foul the engine.
So my choices:
It must me a flat four (flat 6 is nice but too heavy )

Subaru
Alfasud/33
Vw Waterboxer

Subaru was discounted because it's too modern for the look I'm after.

For about one year I was convinced I wanted an alfa. High revving, sweet sounding over 100 bhp from stock. So I bought one. It was a 1.7 with twin carbs. Problem was it was in Devon and I'm in Telford. The moment I won it on eBay the conversation with my good lady went like this:
"How do you fancy me whisking you off for a couple of days somewhere, Devon maybe?"
"Oo that would be nice"
"Great it'll be so romantic..."

I mentioned popping over to pick up an engine as we passed Taunton services.......
Old 11-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
dc66

As it turned out the engine had been stripped of some of the parts. I found another ( 1.5 this time) in a pheasant rearing barn about 5 miles from my house. I got the engine and a gearbox for 20.

I got the engine running and started looking at the gearbox. I figured that if I could flip the diff over inside I could use it in my chassis. 5 speed, correct ratios for the alfa engine, sounds perfect.
I took the sump off the gearbox and realised that the diff could be flipped with a little work. I'd loose the speedo drive but that didn't matter. What did matter was that the sump was full of teeth and 4 broken sycro rings! This box had had a hard life.
When I looked into it, I discovered that the alfa box is quite weak. Most racing Alfas use vw boxes.
So I scrubbed that idea.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
dc66

The more I thought about it, the more I started being drawn back to vw power. Not having to use an adaptor plate made the build feel more "proper" and not bodged. I know the use of adaptor plates is fine (Remember my tdi engine conversion beetle?) but I felt it wasn't right in this build.
A quick chat with my friend Mario at MV Engineering confirmed it. A 1.9 wbx would be perfect. Enough power for my light weight special and, being aluminium, a damn sight lighter than the cast iron alfa.
Mario has lent me a case and heads so I can mock up the rear mounts.

I feel happier now it's all vw
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
GlenAnderson

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

Waterboxer.

Mmmmmm....

Good call.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
Ada7
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Sounds like an interesting project. Looking forward to seeing your progress

Adam
Ada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #19
iain ambrose

Sounds like a great project for your skills.

Excellent engine choice
You will find the stock 1.9 a bit lacking in performance at 85hp but it's perfectly suited to a turbo upgrade in the future.
Just adding a set of twin carbs with 1.25 rockers and T1 style exhaust really improves performance.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #20
dc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain ambrose View Post
Sounds like a great project for your skills.

Excellent engine choice
You will find the stock 1.9 a bit lacking in performance at 85hp but it's perfectly suited to a turbo upgrade in the future.
Just adding a set of twin carbs with 1.25 rockers and T1 style exhaust really improves performance.
I have a set of 36's and a set of 40's to choose from. Remember that the car is going to be very light, so massive power would upset the cars ballence. But, yes, more power options are one of the reasons I like this engine option.
Reply Post New Thread