Latest Mexi purchase - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
wil7496
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Been looking for a late lhd 1600i Mexi for some time but everything i found was a rhd conversion and not what i wanted. As usual, last Thursday evening whilst searching the web i spotted on ebay a 1984 lhd Mexi, had only been listed a few minutes previous but the pictures showed it to be a clean tidy example with a very solid pan and shell. A quick couple of questions to the vendor and i made a decision i was having it, so i did the one thing you shouldn't do, and i bought it blind, i.e. without viewing it.
The following day, that being yesterday, i transferred the payment to the vendor, again, i know a huge risk and one we should never do, arranged for it to be couriered to me this morning, and i took delivery of it just before 11am this morning, just over 36 hours after first seeing it on ebay.
Well, what can i say, it is as solid as any bug of this age i have seen before. The pans and channels look original and unwelded, the front inner wings and spare wheel well are shiny and still have factory stickers on, and it drives really well.
Ive only took a single pic for now but it should give an idea of its condition
20191005_115549 by Adrian Wilcock, on Flickr

Last edited by wil7496; 05-10-2019 at 05:29 PM..
wil7496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

That looks really, really lovely. Well done. Iím more than a little jealous.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (6)

Very nice.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Damageplan
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Looks great!

Build thread here! https://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/show....php?t=1333434
Damageplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
sie1970
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (5)

Mexican Beetles in original LH drive are the up and coming thing, people are just realising how good they are. There has been a club running for the past 37 years trying to send this message, and it is now that people are finally understanding!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
wil7496
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sie1970 View Post
Mexican Beetles in original LH drive are the up and coming thing, people are just realising how good they are. There has been a club running for the past 37 years trying to send this message, and it is now that people are finally understanding!
This is my fourth Mexican Beetle now, and all have been brilliant cars. Im still amazed at how solid this one is for its age, been giving it a good check over today and other than a very small oil leak, identified now as the oil pump cover gasket leaking, everything appears to be in great working order - a lucky find i think!!
wil7496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
keekster64
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

The early 80s mexican bugs were very good. That looks like an excellent example. I had a velvet red one. The build quality was on par with the last german ones. The only weakness, IMHO, is the body was painted on the pan, and the underside of the pan is usually just primer. When they arrived in Germany, VW coated the whole underside in thick hard underseal. As it ages it goes brittle and cracks. Water gets underneath it and gets trapped against the metal causing localised rot, which usually doesn't spread far. If I'd kept mine I would have chipped off all the old underseal and derusted any surface rust, and used some wax based underseal instead. As long as its looked after, they last and drive very well.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Default Mexi

Lovely!

Out of interest, why are there so many red B and C reg mexi beetles about ? All usually red too. Was it due to it being the last year they were officially imported to Europe ?
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaghan View Post
Lovely!

Out of interest, why are there so many red B and C reg mexi beetles about ? All usually red too. Was it due to it being the last year they were officially imported to Europe ?
I'm not 100% but think they were all limited edition Red Velvet bugs (someone can correct me )

Lovely looking car there, really suits the GT wheels too. Health to drive dude!
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Default Mexi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I'm not 100% but think they were all limited edition Red Velvet bugs (someone can correct me )

Lovely looking car there, really suits the GT wheels too. Health to drive dude!
Yeh those are nice. But i mean the base model ones with the houndstooth (think thatís what itís called) interior and not side graphics.
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread