About time i showed you my '70 1300. - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 25-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
beetlecharles
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

It does looks suspect but theres only one way to find out!

Have you thought about a genuine complete quarter panel, although they are pretty pricey?

Old 25-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
chrisaircooled
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

looks good made keep it up dated
Old 25-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #23
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlecharles View Post
It does looks suspect but theres only one way to find out!

Have you thought about a genuine complete quarter panel, although they are pretty pricey?

Thought about it but too pricey for me at the moment.
Gonna have to do with Klokkenholm panels and homemade pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaircooled View Post
looks good made keep it up dated
Gotta get my bay welded for its MOT before i get on with the bug.
Not much to do (a few little patches) so it shouldn't take too long. Fingers crossed.

Old 26-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Zebedee

I've had a poke around the tacked on bits on the arch and it seems pretty solid there.
It looks like the rot spread too far up the arch for the suspension mount repair panel to cover so they welded a plate on.
Still gonna cut the patches off and have a proper go at making it look a bit nicer.

It looks a bit like a patchwork quilt under the arch but i think a bit of grinding and some stonechip should have that looking OK.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #25
satelliteone
Wannabe Chat Slut

Brave guy, Your not alone. keep em pix flowing. I know the motivation sags a little..but the outcome will glorious im sure.

Love the sunroof..might try and retro fit one in my bug.. top job so far!
Old 26-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
Zebedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by satelliteone View Post
Brave guy, Your not alone. keep em pix flowing. I know the motivation sags a little..but the outcome will glorious im sure.

Love the sunroof..might try and retro fit one in my bug.. top job so far!
Been watching your thread with interest. Nice work you've done there.

The sunroof is only a tilt model that I won in a competition in vw motoring in '98 and its been great for the summer. Glass lifts out completely too.
Only probs is 10 years later it doesn't close tightly at the rear and water gets in when it rains.
Can't figure out how to sort it either.

Was thinking of removing it completely and welding the hole up as i was planning on doing some historic rallying with it and it won't pass scrutineering because of the glass sunroof.
Too much work to do a good job on such a visible area so i might just buy a cheap hillman imp and use that instead.
Old 27-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #27
satelliteone
Wannabe Chat Slut

Maybe the seals have sagged over time zeb. im sure a little buff up with very very light sand paper, then add/rub black shoe polish, then clean off might make then seal proper. Other than that if there is a way to adjust the gap, try that. or replace the seal totally.

thanks for the compliment on cabbage. Waiting for the weather to turn out warm , before i get out and spray the rest of the car. Till then im building another engine for cabbage. also been pondering on hydrogen injection for the new motor.. experimental..

good luck tho.. keep up the good work
Old 27-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
Zebedee

I think the problem is the sunroof has been shut for so long its compressed the seal.
There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the latch so i'm gonna remove the catch from its mount completley and see if i can shim it somehow.

You've got a long time to wait if you're waiting for the warm weather. Its usually the mid week of july isn't it?

What size engine are you building for cabbage?
I've got the stock 1300sp for mine in bits at the mo. Gonna fit a minnow fish carb, 1.25:1 rockers and a set of taper tips for a bit of retro power.
Old 27-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #29
satelliteone
Wannabe Chat Slut

im going to build a 1600 DP. Ive got the as41 case , and a few bits n peices. Waiting to get another engine as a donar. Just cleaning all the bits i have already..

Saving for some new parts too..dam exspensive this bug building lark. Engine and body work. ive could of bought a decent car by now..lol.

Cabbage has a working engine, but has a bad knock on the bottom end, needs a newly built motor..
Old 28-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #30
Zebedee

Woah, sparkly crank case.

Woke up this morning to the first lovely and dry, no wind day in weeks and i've got a bloody case of manflu.

Sitting here at the moment wrapped in a thick blanket shivering.
Was hoping to get something done outside but i can't even stand without my legs shaking.
Reply Post New Thread