1971 Type 3 Late Fastback - Page 28 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 24-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #271
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (6)

The rest of it looks damn good anyway.
Old 24-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #272
broady_6
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (14)

'83 mini

Sultan of swing
broady_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #273
broady_6
Seasoned Chat Slut

Lets see if we can produce something cohearent then. Ive been using the car rather than working on it. But I have taken it for a 4 wheel alignment. Its safe to say I wasnt ever going to get anywhere on my own.

So thats the before an after, ignore the limits on the diagram. They didnt have my car preprogrammed and I took my specs with me. So the lasers we simply used to get a reading. It was all over the show before. Now im left with the front end is well inside spec and the ball joints are set up correctly.

The rear remains the issue. I have to drive with some RH down on. And looking at my readings there, the OSR is at full adjustment. and needs to read about 2.5 dgrees toe in (+2.5). So at -0.15 its pointing the wrong way.

/\
//

I spent quite some some reading up about adjustment and set up. But the car is by the book. So that left me to look at the car. Wheel off and using a reasonably straigh edge. Im not sure how reliable this is as a datum, but.

OS

NS

As you can see the OS has a gap between the rule and the seam. If the seam is reliable it is suggesting that the arm is bent. This kind of bend would be consistant with the alignment issue I have with that wheel. Ive got a spare arm which ill be digging out this weekend for some measuring. But What do we all think?

In the mean time, ive had a weekend at skegvegas and got two little gems.

A dipable rear view mirror in just about mint condition, which will save me having my tired one resilvered. This was 20

And this 1/4in over size diameter 4 into one header that has never been used and the bloke let me mug him for 15

Enjoyable nonsence
'83 mini

Sultan of swing

Old 22-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #274
Zebedee

Nice find on the dipping rear view mirror. The head on it looks pretty much the same as the one on my t3 caravelle.
Old 30-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #275
broady_6
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Nice find on the dipping rear view mirror. The head on it looks pretty much the same as the one on my t3 caravelle.
I only Id known! Though id guess the T3 on is larger than this.

Here we are then, with my spare arm blasted I laid a few coats of paint on while i found the time to repair it.

So repair the bump stop I used a hole saw to cut the thin out and then cut the same hole in some good metal, the coupon was welded in and an M10 bolt welded on with a penny washed locked at the right height to fit the bump stop rubber over.

Another issue I wanted to sort while I was under there is to sort out my suspension knock. This was down to beetle shocks being fitted, the bottom bush was too short, so I turned some new ones and pressed them in.

So with both of these trimmed up to fit in the bottom on the trailing arm I stipped the old arm off the car and I started to build it up.

New bearings and seals ect installed.

I pushed the trailing arm all the way forward, and tightened it all up. This evening I finally managed to get out for a quick drive before the weather hit. I am pleased to report it is much improved, it follows the crown of the road rather nicely so ill take it for a wheel alignment on friday and just get it all double checked. But it seems to behave its self under accerleration and cursing. And the shocks dont knock either!

Other news to come, but thats the big one hit
'83 mini

Sultan of swing
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #276
Zebedee

Nice work. Handy when you've got a spare arm hanging around to use instead of trying to find another s/h one.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #277
broady_6
Seasoned Chat Slut

Yeah, given how hard type 3 stuff has been to come by, in comparison to beetles and campers. I tended to buy up a second of the rarer bits when I could just to make like flow more smoothly when things like this happen.

A long time since I shared anything with you lot. I have since returned for a wheel alignment and its now running bang on.

After a couple of minor adjustments to correct the install of the new trailing arm, i was much happier driving home. Its still wasnt perfect though. In the straight a head position it was a bit twitchy and could end up pulling in either direction. But while on the alignment ramp id noticed a weep from the steering damper. So i replaced this with a new non leaky one and it has sorted the nuteral steer twitches. That's that battle over with!

In between other jobs I been working on my alturnate wheels, first job was away to the blasters. I then spent some time knocking the dings out of the lips and filing any rough edges as best I could.

WIth a coat of etch and then a couple of primer coats, rubbing down with 600g between coats.

The next job was to choose the colour.

First of all I went for the subaru impreza gold. But it was just too flat and light for me.

After some more research I found a couple more to try.

Ignore the runs in the paint! This was also too light for my taste.

But as they say, third time lucky, this one was just what im after.

So I got on with the job of painting. Three colour two clear.

'83 mini

Sultan of swing
Old 10-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #278
Zebedee

Nice colour choice on the wheels.
I was tempted with gold EMPI 8s on my 70 but went with grey instead. Having second thoughts now.
Reply Post New Thread