How to trace the history of any car that you own - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Lost and Found

Lost and Found Post here if you're trying to track down an old car . . . or maybe you can help someone find their long lost first ride. Forum available for sponsorship

Advertise on Volkszone.com

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Closed Thread Post New Thread

Old 14-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
Steve Pegg
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny 5
My pick up was imported from Sweden and the DVLA gave me the address of their Swedish counterparts. I wrote a letter to them explaining that I was interested in tracing the history and within 2 days of me sending it they sent me an email with the names and addresses of the last 3 owners, 2 of which which still exist.
Jonny, what was the name/address of this place as I'd like to do the same for my swedish rag!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 14-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
66man
Wannabe Chat Slut

I tried the german version of the DVLA and they said that they couldnt tell me the address(es) of the presious owners ! I even tried the vw dealerships in the area of germany that ws on the old number plates but they couldnt help either. does anyone have any other suggestions as I have no history for the car when it was in germany and I would like to know what sort of life it had.
cheers
kev
Old 14-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
Jonny 5
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pegg
Jonny, what was the name/address of this place as I'd like to do the same for my swedish rag!

Cheers,

Steve
Hi Steve, here it is:

Vehicle and Driving Licence register,
Swedish Road Safety Officer,
Tunnlandsgaten 35- 70188,
Orebro,
Sweden.

If you want a quick reply make sure you include an email address.

Old 14-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
DeadHead Norm
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by split personality
page has expierd any thing else u can use
Still works. Just click on the home button and then on the vehicle enquiry button.

HTH

Norm
Old 01-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
Arfur
Wannabe Chat Slut

On my registration document it says that my bug has only had one owner but I spoke to him as I have a copy of the old registration document and he said that he bouoght it of the original owner. Is it possible that the DVLA records are actually not correct as it would appear with my car as it is a 1960 bug and the records didn't start until the 70's?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #16
Howard66

VZi Member Sponsor

That is due to the DVLA moving from a paper system to the current computerised system between 1973-1983.

Basically, in the past your car would have been issued with a green or brown card logbook (RF60) which the owners wrote their current address on, which was updated at the local registration office.

In 1974 the DVLA bought a lovely shiney new computer system So from then on, all new cars automatically went on this system. Between 1974 and 1983, the DVLA recalled the old RF60's and issued the owners with new V5's. However, the V5's started from 0 owners, so if you where the first owner to have a V5 you where listed as the first owner.

What it used to say on the V5 for my '66 was "1 previous owner since May 1976" (which was when my car was computerised). However, the new documents DO NOT say this!! Which is stupid.

To find the complete number of owners for your pre 1974 car, you need to get a copy of the original logbook from the DVLA. You can work it out from there
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1962 Austin Mini De-Lux
1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
Old 01-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #17
Arfur
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard66
To find the complete number of owners for your pre 1974 car, you need to get a copy of the original logbook from the DVLA. You can work it out from there
So if I write to them and pay a fiver I can get this info?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #18
Howard66

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfur
So if I write to them and pay a fiver I can get this info?
Yes, but only if you are the current registered keeper of the car.

From the DVLA website:

If you are the current keeper you can get information about any earlier keepers on application. You should write to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ quoting the registration number of the vehicle and giving the reasons for your request. A fee of 5 is payable.

Hope this helps!
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1962 Austin Mini De-Lux
1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
Old 02-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #19
Arfur
Wannabe Chat Slut

Yeah am registered owner so looks like a job for tomorrow, thanks for the info to buddy
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
Howard66

VZi Member Sponsor

I'm currently writing a couple of articles about tracing the history of your car, and also about tracing the whereabouts of cars you once owned. About 75% finished at the moment. I'll post them up when done
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1962 Austin Mini De-Lux
1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
Closed Thread Post New Thread