How to trace the history of any car that you own - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Lost and Found

Lost and Found Post here if you're trying to track down an old car . . . or maybe you can help someone find their long lost first ride. Forum available for sponsorship

Advertise on Volkszone.com

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Closed Thread Post New Thread

Old 22-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
TRADESIZE
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default How to trace the history of any car that you own

...........what you need to do is:
write to the dvla requesting the history of your car (pay a small fee- contcat them for full details). They will send you a copy of all the previous owners names and addresses (a copy of all the old V5's and reg docs). Ok now thats a good start but you can do better!!! Now write to all the addresses adressing it to 'the occupier of...24 Smyth st etc) a very nice polite letter, asking of they used to own your car and can they tell you anything about it or do they know the owner now etc etc. Now and here's the good way to get an answer make sure you enclose a stamped and addressed envelope with you name on it, and a piece of paper and ask them to write down what they knwo and send it back. Suprisingly they will do this!!! I have a 56 oval with no history whatsoever when i finished researching i had a folder 3 inches thick with info!!!! (if your very lucky you might even get some old photo's back of your car!!).
It'll take time and patience but its wicked when you get the info back Good Luck - this really works!!
Jeff
Old 22-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
bonmaklad

whats the website u ccan check if cars are on the road still etc from dvla?
Old 22-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
DeadHead Norm
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonmaklad
whats the website u ccan check if cars are on the road still etc from dvla?
http://tinyurl.com/c7n8p
or

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=DTbNlWlhzeXp5n xKMspXs2hN1m5gf0ISntv7eh8xpCtvERCIqbAZ!-1428707164!1699074866?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=be a.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Vehicle +Enquiry

HTH

Norm

Old 23-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #4
b16tay

I sold my beetle 18 months ago and I'm wondering whose got as it has changed hands twice since then.
so what I'm saying is will they tell you who owns it now?

p.s. its a yellow jeans beetle reg yxj733m if someone knows of its where abouts give me a shout just wanna know hows it goin with it
Old 27-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
panickyidiot
I'm not an addict... honest!

any ideas for finding previous owners in other countries? my bug is South African, i did try an owners club over there and someone said they knew someone who worked in the vehicle license place, but it was illegal and dangerous for them to get any info!?
Old 27-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
i_am_stewart
Chat Slapper

Talking

This is exactly what I had planned to do.
I sent a cheque off to the DVLA last back in december, got the cheque sent back last week, i forgot to sign it at me!

I e-mailed the DVLA last year to find out if they could tell me more about find the history...they said:

Thank you for your email.

The registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to a history of previous keepersí names and addresses.

The request should be made in writing to the address below and be accompanied by a cheque or postal order for £5.00 per vehicle made payable to DVLA Swansea.

Information From Records
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1AJ

Does anyone have a polite letter already typed that they can post here that i can copy and paste? lazy i know.

Cheers
Stewart
Old 13-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Howard66
I really must get out more

VZi Member Sponsor

if they have moved addresses, a few minutes with the bt phone book website is usually worthwhile
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1962 Austin Mini De-Lux
1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
Old 13-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
blug with one 'g'

does anyone know how long this dvla thingy take,sent my cheque off 3 weeks ago,or am i just impatient?
Old 13-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
split personality
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdoughty
http://tinyurl.com/c7n8p
or

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=DTbNlWlhzeXp5n xKMspXs2hN1m5gf0ISntv7eh8xpCtvERCIqbAZ!-1428707164!1699074866?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=be a.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Vehicle +Enquiry

HTH

Norm
page has expierd any thing else u can use
Old 13-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
HerbieUK
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blug
does anyone know how long this dvla thingy take,sent my cheque off 3 weeks ago,or am i just impatient?

Took about 3 weeks for mine to come back for the beetle. You'll get it - they probably have a few enquiries to deal with.
Closed Thread Post New Thread