Roadster Project - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
M.I.B
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

Default Roadster Project

It must be 15 years since I started a reader's rides thread!

I promised to build another aircooled. I looked at Trekkers, then nearly went "buggy" then thought "if buggy, why not Speedster" and I got really close to ordering a body kits and pan shortening from The Speedster Clinic.

Then IVA put me right off. I have seen the Po and other people's builds, but IVA just says "no" in my mind - each to their own.

Then I remembered that Wizard made a few fully plastic cars. Not just the rear scuttle and decklid Wizards bonded onto metal cars - I'm talking 99% plastic bodied car.

Dr Robinson had a 4 seater for sale in an unmade condition and I was over to Hertfordshire faster then greased Weasel poo. Sadly I fell straight out of love with it because the dash on a 4 seat plastic Wiz is super thick - there's a mini RSJ inside the dash to hold the A posts apart/together. Hence why the few 4 seaters you see all have that 80s "smooth dash" look.

Not for me. Shame.

2 years later - about 2 years ago, .........I got a message about an unmade 2 seater. These look very different to the 4 seaters: the screen is "chopped" and it has more of a Hebmuller rear end. Much like the conversions people did on steel cars.

I went to view and it wasn't "unmade" in fact someone had made a start A very bad start. Huge blobs of mat here and there and signs of rust stains in places like the door hinge positions.

The seller had bought it off "someone Manchester way....." and he was going to put it onto a Type 3 pan but didn't have the time.......

These only fit Type 1 pans, but if you were skilled with a welder......

Most importantly it came with the steel work necessary to build these: 2 chassis rail strengtheners ( like VW factory made cabrios) and a cross member, and the A and B post steels - this is one piece.

The crazy fake louvered running boards are under some concrete now, and the "smooth" short bonnet (yuk) is with Day Mouldings to use as a pattern if the trend ever re-emerges. It was very well made but not my cup of tea.

Instead I use a tin bonnet for storage and stashed away in my log shed is an unused Paintbox glass fibre long bonnet - a real B289 relic.

The hood frame is there, the brown tinted glass (side windows and screen) is there and the caps to go over the top of the door glass when the roof is up. Absolutely everything. Including the strengther to go inside the cloth roof at the front. I don't plan on fitting a roof or side windows, so I will keep these for the next owner (in 20 years time).

The engine lid on these is larger than those on the Wiz conversion kits - For some reason a conversion engine lid came along too.

Plastic car fans will have to wait tho - I'm busy converting a small cottage into a large house, and haven't even got a garage yet, so this is wrapped up under covers and n pallets and hidden in the corner of my field.

Sadly there were no wings with the kit so Day Mouldings provided.

Indian Scout 101ci

Originally Posted by mr slug:

"Best bike on the thread IMO, outright winner"

The Runaway Boy

Last edited by M.I.B; 01-12-2019 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: spelling and typing
M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
M.I.B

The doors have winder mechs fitted although these will come out. I will keep them and the 4 "Cal Look one piece window door window scrapers" which are needed to stop these rattling.

I also have brand need window channels, glass holders and felts: the whole kit for fitting lifting windows. But I'm going to take photos and measurements of the window slot, then fill it in. This is in case windows get fitted in later years.

These bodies are odd in that they have features from all sorts of years. And of course lots of lines and shapes are unique.

The fuel filler cap will go, as will the finger indents: no door handles on this car.

Probably going to blend the wings into the body ( no beading),

Top will be a Roadster style tonneau to be poppered on in times of bad weather. Storage is in the void behind the seats - along with speakers and an Amp.

Style - dark grey smooth body - a bit Back to 89. No chrome, stock running boards. Pope's nose and snowflake lights. Slopers up front with indicators in the unit. Pop Brown's "flashing brake light" kit - had one on my street and strip 13 Sec oval.

With black tweed interior. Got some sports seats. Possible 4 point harnesses. Got a full set of 914 guages and some other VDOs. Berg Shift.

Gurney Wheels with drums up front. One a 4" narrowed beam.

Motion department: 1699 cc, twin 40 Dels, funky cam, ported heads, on a brand new ally case. Forged Pistons and counter weight crank. Matched to my old Drag gearbox - Rancho pro Comp (IRS) with Qualife LSD - bus output cups (not Trekker!!_

Hot rod rake - on probably Smart tyres up front and stock meat out back.

Indian Scout 101ci

The Runaway Boy
Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
M.I.B

So what have I been doing to it for the last 2 years? Buying all the bits. I'm 99.99% there other than carpets and paint. I even have the steel 911 spare all painted up and ready, fitted with a Smart tyre.

Some photos of it as of today - I had to move it for the 4th time! Next time this moves is into my workshop when it's built.

The chassis is hiding in the old paintbox premises but it will be coming here very soon. Then it's off to Dubs-by-Dan for IRS conversion.

Love and Peace

Recycler Racing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	271447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	271449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1988 (1).jpg
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	271451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	271453  

Indian Scout 101ci

The Runaway Boy

Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
M.I.B

Here it is all packed together.

Today's purchases: the heater control mech and 2 heater cable boots.

It's going on a 50s pan.............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1985.jpg
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	271467  

Indian Scout 101ci

The Runaway Boy